Question about caribou transporters

I've heard on multiple podcasts that your air taxi/transporter cannot tell you where you should go to hunt.

But then I see things like this on the transporters website:

"Our pilots will do their best to put you right in the middle of that migration. Hunters can rest assured knowing they will be placed in areas that have a long history of being productive."

Which one is it? I plan to spend a ton of time researching maps and learning about the migration, will all that be worthless when I show up and the pilot says "I'll just take you to a sweet spot."

Some terms are interchangeable. Someone can call themselves a transporter without being a licensed transporter. An air taxi typically is not a licensed transporter. An outfitter isn’t always a guide, but is typically a licensed transporter. And a licensed transporter isn’t always an outfitter…..

A licensed transporter can charge for “transportation services” which include the transport of hunters, gear, and game. They can advertise these services and charge a different rate for them. Part of that service can include a location for drop off. They cannot, however, direct you to big game once in the air. They can circle your hunt zone, but not point out game.

An air taxi is typically not a licensed transporter, although they may be called a transporter. An air taxi can transport big game hunters, their gear, and game only as an incidental portion of their business. Incidental meaning they cannot charge more than their usual rate for these services and they cannot advertise for these services. In addition, cannot suggest locations. They’re literally a taxi. “Please take me to lake x.”

Any flight service you’ve seen mentioned on Rokslide is almost certainly a transporter. Any service advertising hunts online is likely a licensed transporter. Guys using air taxis and picking their own spots are keeping that info close to the chest. That’s how I did my first moose hunt. Hundreds of hours of research. Narrowed down where I wanted to go and fly out of, and found an air taxi in the village that to this day I’ve never seen mentioned anywhere online. It cost under $2k a person (two people) including flying moose out (a decade ago).

Last edited:
Also…….. just ask whoever you booked with or plan to book with how locations are determined. A licensed transporter will gladly take you to a place you want to go granted they can land there. It takes the heat off of them!

OP
S
Thank you very much for this response. I appreciate the detail you went into. It really clears things up for me.