Quarter Bore!

_Tyler_

FNG
Hello all,

So I’ve come to the decision that I want my next hunting rifle to be a quarter bore, specifically either a 25-06 or a .257 Weatherby Mag. I think I know which one I want and which one you all are going to recommend, but let’s see what happens. Here’s kinda what I need:
Species will be blacktail deer. Nothing more, nothing less. 100% blacktail deer. Ranges will be from 30 ish yards on the close end and 300 would be the absolute MAXIMUM distance I could stretch in our area. Our last two shots were within 100 yards.
I DO NOT reload my ammo. I would only be buying factory loaded ammunition.
I know I would have to buy a 26 inch barrel in a 257 WBY in order to reach its velocity potential. I would be able to save 2 inches with a 25-06. I’m also the type that walks a bit while hunting, so something that’s at least somewhat packable is important.
I guess what I’m getting at here is will, within the hunting distances I’m shooting, the 257 WBY give me an edge at all? I want to be as ethical as I can and provide quick kills on the deer. Will close range shots with the WBY provide too much meat damage?
I also know the 25-06 recoils less, which I like because I do prefer to see my animal after the shot to see it’s reaction to the bullet in case I did miss.
I would love some discussion on this. Thank you all in advance.
PS I was going to be using 100 grain monolithic bullets in each caliber. Barnes TTSX, Nosler E Tip, Federal Trophy Copper.

deadwolf

WKR
Both calibers you suggested have a lot of horsepower for a small deer, especially if the range is inside 300

If it was me I’d do a 25 creedmoor if you’re all in on the quarter bore. And I’d keep the barrel at 22”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
25-06 is my vote. I've had good luck with both the 100 gr TTSX and 120 gr Fusions on antelope, deer and black bear.

Tobey

Lil-Rokslider
25-06 will do what you need. I'd only go with the 257 if you just really want a weatherby.

mmac

WKR
25 -06 sounds perfect. It is great on whitetail and mule deer and lots of ammo selection compared to the other quarter bore options. My current is a kimber Montana , it is pretty easy to work loads up for and likes the Mosley factory ammo too

Both calibers you suggested have a lot of horsepower for a small deer, especially if the range is inside 300

If it was me I’d do a 25 creedmoor if you’re all in on the quarter bore. And I’d keep the barrel at 22”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd do a 25 Creedmoor as a non-reloader?

I’d say 25-06 just because mine is a deer and antelope machine, but before you make any decisions I’d go see what ammo you can find. Tough times to jump to a new caliber, especially if you don’t reload. Good luck, I don’t think there’s a bad choice.

Buck197

WKR
I haven't chronod or anything. It shoots a hair flatter, I had a buddy going thru Colorado school of trades in the 90s, so had him do it. This is an early 80s, maybe late 70s Browning A bolt gold medallion, the first brand new rifle dad ever got me. I shot a pretty good sized muley with it in I want to say 97 and it dropped like a bag of cement. I've had it put up for years, but my favorite of all of my rifles. It just works. I've killed quite a few Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas whitetails, hogs, and put a horse down with it once, it does the deed.

Buck197

WKR
I used one for that when I lived in Kodiak. Today few manufacturers make anything in 257 Roberts and the non-reloader may be pressed to find ammo. For those reasons it doesn't sound like what he needs.

25-06 OP.
I actually still find .257 Roberts at alot of places. I don't buy it just cause I put that in the safe to pass down, but I was seeing it quite regular, in different parts of lower 48 before the herpies/corona outbreak and ammo shitshow.

I just went through this same decision. I was set on 257 wby, but due to ammo cost, noise, and rifle offerings, I went 25-06. 25-06 isn’t going to give you any performance upgrade over 257 wby at any range. But inside 300 on black tail you’ll probably never notice a difference. Get whatever rifle you like best