Q&Q Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56mm Field Eval

ChrisAU

WKR
Hope this one keeps it up. Excited by these for competition use. I have a 4-25 on my competition 22 and it dialed back and forth a LOT with no problems being banged on barricades and fence posts and gates a couple weeks ago at a NRL Hunter style NRL22x match. I like it so much I'm considering getting another 6-36 for NRL Hunter rifle to replace the ZCO. The ZCO is awesome its just hard to justify anything more than these Zeiss LRP S3's.

Dobermann

WKR
Hi @Formidilosus - as excited as I am about any scope that might pass these tests, I'm curious: do you see much of a use case for this optic overall, though? If the ZP5 is your choice for a larger hunting scope, and an ATACR for more heavy-duty use ... even if the S3 passes durability testing, do you personally see a solid context for application? (Some) competitions maybe? More than that?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hi @Formidilosus - as excited as I am about any scope that might pass these tests, I'm curious: do you see much of a use case for this optic overall, though? If the ZP5 is your choice for a larger hunting scope, and an ATACR for more heavy-duty use ... even if the S3 passes durability testing, do you personally see a solid context for application? (Some) competitions maybe? More than that?

Not personally. This is a PRS scope- it has little to no field application.

ChrisAU

WKR
The biggest use, for the 4-25 anyway, is extreme elevation travel. I have something like 55.4 MILs from my 50 yard zero on my 22LR comp gun. Can take a 22 wayyy out lol

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The biggest use, for the 4-25 anyway, is extreme elevation travel. I have something like 55.4 MILs from my 50 yard zero on my 22LR comp gun. Can take a 22 wayyy out lol

Yep. PRS/NRL .22.

Had a group of guys, most are RS members, field shooting for a week. Multiple used this Zeiss and all stated the same thing- reticle sucks/I hate the reticle. Broken terrain, animals, lower light, lower powers, etc it is all but useless. Just shooting 3moa orange dots at 50y in the yard requires 10-12x to actually be usable.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the turrets, locking windage, reticle and eyebox of my S3 4-25. Only dislike is the weight. It is a full pound heavier than the v6 3-18. 25x is more than I’m used to and happy around 15x and the ffp is still plenty big there

I don't want to start a new thread about it but it looks like these (as well as the S5's) are 25% off at MKM for the rest of 2023. So the S3 6-36 is $1875 from them I guess.

Last edited:

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Not the 6-36 but the 4-25. My 22lr (b14r in krg xray) fell off my truckbed when a door got slammed and landed on the parallax knob. Roughly chest height onto grass.

First shots through it at 50 yds to check zero today. The red shot was my first. The green number 10 that I know I shanked left. I haven't had any first round wandering on this rifle, but my understanding is that 22lr can be prone to them as a carbon ring builds up. It hadn't been cleaned in a while.
20231126_103531.jpg

Reactions: NSI

NSI

WKR
At the current $1900 price on MK, to what extent would those of you who have used this scope say that it is a "no-brainer" buy for ELR fun and PRS competition?

-J

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
At the current $1900 price on MK, to what extent would those of you who have used this scope say that it is a "no-brainer" buy for ELR fun and PRS competition?

-J

I just ordered a 6-36 based on my experience with its little brother. It's a great little optic for the price. The eyebox is a bit tight at high power when compared to my PM2. The reticle isn't one I would select for a hunting optic, but I think it's really good for PRS.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the 6-36 does.

Ripnbst

FNG
Form, the Zeiss rings that you state had issues, were they the Zeiss Precision Ultralight rings with the built in bubble level? Or some other Zeiss ring? I have one pair of these and like them but I haven't intentionally beaten on them either. If there are other rings with integral bubble level you'd recommend I'd love to hear it.