Q&Q Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56mm Field Eval

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Q&A for Zeiss LRP.

Based on my experience with the V6, I am inclined to believe there will still be zero shifts with different rings.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Based on my experience with the V6, I am inclined to believe there will still be zero shifts with different rings.

Zeiss has never had very robust scopes- certainly bot the V4 and V6. The S3 is different clearly, so maybe it will work….

Single base screw and limited torque would be my supposition.
Is the single base screw they use significantly different than say a hawkins where more torque can be applied? I wonder if zeiss torque specs are designated so low because of their scope lineups questionable durability. 🤔

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is the single base screw they use significantly different than say a hawkins where more torque can be applied? I wonder if zeiss torque specs are designated so low because of their scope lineups questionable durability. 🤔
Zeiss uses a slightly harder Aluminum tube construction than Nightforce 6082 vs 6061. Assuming they are both around a 3mm tube? Just a guess, but I don't see any issue with the tube strength of a Zeiss scope tube. The turret on a NF, Trijicon or say Leica PRS is at a different level of course. None of the rifles this scope would be on have any real recoil either that would be an issue I would think.

ZAR EC

FNG
Updated.

As suspected the previous rings were garbage.
Do you have any more info on what happenned with the rings please? Did they slip on the rail or break? The Zeiss rings look like they are made by Tierone.eu which make very similar rings which are popular in Europe & UK. I have a few sets and I've recently had a significant zero shift and I'm trying to track down the cause (scope/rings/stock). Thanks

ZAR EC

FNG
If I'm not mistaken I saw you had some tierone.eu rings on a Sako TRG 300 win mag. They have the same clamp design as the Zeiss so would be good to know if you also had any issues with that setup. Thanks

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If I'm not mistaken I saw you had some tierone.eu rings on a Sako TRG 300 win mag. They have the same clamp design as the Zeiss so would be good to know if you also had any issues with that setup. Thanks

Yea, those are the rings on that TRG. It’s not my setup to change.

Looking at them, the best bet is the single small screw and relatively small clamp just aren’t enough to keep the rings from moving. I have had multiple Zeiss rings do this.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus I wonder if the bad impact was due to the erector sticking when you dialed it all the way to the top. Either way, it's good to see that it passes the drop test.

That would be a good guess. The zero stop is below actual zero, so I suppose when I dialed down to the ZS and back up it stuck. However, it’s just weird as everything else was spot on.