Q Core SL and Synmat UL7

Pad Preference

• Big Agnes Q Core SL

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Exped Synmat UL7

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
Who has used both and who replaced their Exped for the Big Agnes? I read the review of the Q Core SL and in spite of the negatives it appeared that many folks went with the BA.

I have the regular q-core but I went to the ul7. The main reason is I got the pump/dry bag that connects to the ul7 because I hate blowing my mattress up. The pump bag is awesome and fast.

muleman

WKR
Who has used both and who replaced their Exped for the Big Agnes? I read the review of the Q Core SL and in spite of the negatives it appeared that many folks went with the BA.

Have you seen this thread? http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8307

To sleep comfortably I need a wide pad. So the under size / over weight issues with the Q-Core SL turn me off. I was watching to pick a SL up when on sale or discounted, not anymore. I can't complain at all about my DownMat UL 7 or my kids SynMat UL 7s.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For the money, weight, and comfort...I'd get neither

Big Agnes Insulated air core....21 oz (in 72X20" model), 3.5" thick, 4.1 R value, $90 or cheaper if you shop around likely

http://www.rei.com/product/846692/big-agnes-air-core-insulated-sleeping-pad

Or if you are not concerned about R-Value or needing it to be square teh REI Flash pad at 16 oz even for 3.2 R value (same as ExPed model in the poll) for $75 is a bargin

Last edited:
OP
Brandon Pattison
Maybe my setup will help your advices. I have a Big Agnes 3 Wire Bivy. On the bottom I run the RidgeRest then on the inside I run a maroon BA IAC regular rectangle and them my 30 degree Montbell UL Hugger Superdown. I have a Paratarp on the angle of the dangle. I want to upgrade the Insulated Air Core. I have an xlite Neoair and it is still in the box. I despise noise from all of my thrashing around so I am not even going to attempt to open it. I will be launched soon (once I figure out what I want). My biggest concern is breath moisture and the ability to use a pump/bag inflator. Lemme have it. I CANNOT sleep on my side (mostly on my stomach) due to junk shoulders.

muleman

WKR
Are you looking to only use one pad? If i remeber right, the Three Wire constrains pad width. Can you comfortably fit a 3.5" deep pad in the Three Wire?

The 3 wire is huge. there is a video where 2 guys crawl out from inside it. Its a shame BA discontinued it

http://www.prolitegear.com/site/big-agnes-3-wire-bivy-review.html about 3:40 in the video

As far as the OP when i was looking researching new sleeping pads I saw reports that the BA pad specs are deflated. Its something like 2 inches more narrow when inflated.

Last edited:
If your biggest concern is the use if a pump bag then the ul7 is by far the best choice. BA has one but its a tie on one and not efficient at all. The exped clips on and two bags and its full. Easy choice given this criteria

KMD

Banned
I went to the local REI and laid out the Q-core SL, UL7, and REI Flash on the ground and rolled around on all of them.
I ended up leaving with the UL7 in LW size. The REI Flash was prolly the best value, a really nice pad for the $$$. The Q-Core the most 'cushy', but the size was too skinny for my body (6'1", 215) The UL7 was close in comfort to the Q-Core but wider in standard size. And the LW dimensions are just so that it will keep the bathtub floor and inner mesh on my Tarptent Notch spread at the corners so I'm not rolling into the material during the night.
Also, the Exped Schnozzel bag factored into the equation. I will pack the Schnozzel with extra clothing as a dry bag in the pack, then use it to blow up the UL7 easily at spike camp. Then, stuff it back full of clothes, or just keep inflated to use as a sleep pillow...

muleman

WKR
If your biggest concern is the use if a pump bag then the ul7 is by far the best choice. BA has one but its a tie on one and not efficient at all. The exped clips on and two bags and its full. Easy choice given this criteria

I agree the Schnozzle Pumpbag works great. You just have to hold it correctly and not kink the Schozzle. (Why do I suddenly feel vulnerable?)

If you want to go to one pad and save some weight over the two you are carrying look at the Exped SynMat UL 9. It is 3.5" deep like the Q-core SL. A long wide would be lighter than the two pads being carried, maintains a high R-Value, is a deep and comfortable pad. While not the lightest pad out there it would be a weight improvement over the two pad setup you are carrying now.

If you can, do as KMD did and lay on pads side by side at the store.

Last edited:
OP
Brandon Pattison
I agree the Schnozzle Pumpbag works great. You just have to hold it correctly and not kink the Schozzle. (Why do I suddenly feel vulnerable?)

If you want to got to one pad and save some weight over the two you are carrying look at the Exped SynMat UL 9. It is 3.5" deep like the Q-core SL. A long wide would be lighter than the two pads being carried, maintains a high R-Value, is a deep and comfortable pad. While not the lightest pad out there it would be a weight improvement over the two pad setup you are carrying now.

If you can, do as KMD did and lay on pads side by side at the store.

LOL, I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out.

Very good point. I never thought of the extra weight of the RidgeRest as far as taking it away and consolidating them into one pad. Just when I thought I was getting it narrowed down you go throwing that wrench into my brain housing group.

Shrek

WKR
$148.05 tyd if you don't live in a state that has one of their stores. The code is o2ups15 not a zero in front but the letter. If there is a store in your state they have to collect sales tax.