Q&A Zeiss LRP S5 3-18x50mm Field Eval

JakeM51

FNG
Would like to see the 4-25x50 S3 tested as the specs seem to be the best on the market for an all around scope that doesn't cost the $5,600 that the 3-20 ultra short does.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Would like to see the 4-25x50 S3 tested as the specs seem to be the best on the market for an all around scope that doesn't cost the $5,600 that the 3-20 ultra short does.

What makes you think the results will be significantly different?

JakeM51

FNG
I don't think that they would besides the turret falling off.
I just wish for something like the full size 3-20 schimdt and bender or the 4-16x42 with better turrets.
Sadly they don't sell those anymore and they just keep adding high mag super nutcase out of this world prices. The only other thing I can think of is the 4-16x42 ATACR

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I don't think that they would besides the turret falling off.
I just wish for something like the full size 3-20 schimdt and bender or the 4-16x42 with better turrets.
Sadly they don't sell those anymore and they just keep adding high mag super nutcase out of this world prices. The only other thing I can think of is the 4-16x42 ATACR

The 4-16x42mm ATACR is one of the best scopes made all things considered. Zeiss has never made what a scope that one could honestly term “rugged”.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

I would be happy to send the 6-36x56 S3 to you after my hunts. That is if you have time and if it hasn't failed for me by then.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The S3 at least has one thing in common with the test passing scopes that the S5 does not - made by LOW in Japan. I know that in and of itself doesn’t mean shat, but it is a big difference IMO. @Justin Crossley did yours survive the hunting season?
It did. It held zero through the testing I did and also three hunts. I killed an antelope buck at 371 yards with it and then mounted it on a lighter rifle that my son used to kill his mule deer at 299 yards. A couple of weeks later, my dad used the same rifle and scope to kill his mule deer at 200 yards. None of those shots were extremely long, but the scope performed properly and was still zeroed after each of the hunts.

I have two NX8s that should be here this week, so I can pull the Zeiss off and send it to Form for testing. I was waiting until I had another scope for the rifle so I wouldn't be without.

ChrisAU

WKR
It did. It held zero through the testing I did and also three hunts. I killed an antelope buck at 371 yards with it and then mounted it on a lighter rifle that my son used to kill his mule deer at 299 yards. A couple of weeks later, my dad used the same rifle and scope to kill his mule deer at 200 yards. None of those shots were extremely long, but the scope performed properly and was still zeroed after each of the hunts.

I have two NX8s that should be here this week, so I can pull the Zeiss off and send it to Form for testing. I was waiting until I had another scope for the rifle so I wouldn't be without.

Very nice. Looking forward to the results. I got a 6-36 Saturday and initial impressions are fantastic. It’s in my 6.5PRC I’ll use for competitions, I decided to blow past the 12lb limit for Open Light in NRL Hunter after my first match ha. I was very impressed by the visibility of the reticle at 6x and the turret feel is excellent.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice. Looking forward to the results. I got a 6-36 Saturday and initial impressions are fantastic. It’s in my 6.5PRC I’ll use for competitions, I decided to blow past the 12lb limit for Open Light in NRL Hunter after my first match ha. I was very impressed by the visibility of the reticle at 6x and the turret feel is excellent.
The turrets on the S3 are my favorite of all the scopes I've personally used.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

I am looking forward to see how it does.