Q&A of the Maven RS1 2.5-15x44mm SHR-W MOA drop eval

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
See-

RWT

WKR
Does it appear the turret housing is larger on the 1.2? I am also curious if rifle weight plays a role. I assume it has some influence. I’ll weigh my set up later this week.

This also tells me I likely only pulled one of the two shots not in the cone during my test. So on that note I am a better shot than I thought and will take that as a positive.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Does it appear the turret housing is larger on the 1.2?

The RS1 has a longer/larger turret housing.

I am also curious if rifle weight plays a role. I assume it has some influence. I’ll weigh my set up later this week.

It definitely does. I’m sure that some of the scope that shift/fail on the 10.5lb bare eval rifle, may not in a 7lb rifle. But, those scopes fail in use- there is a correlation between the weight of the eval rifles and predicted issues in use.

This also tells me I likely only pulled one of the two shots not in the cone during my test. So on that note I am a better shot than I thought and will take that as a positive.

Unless you are having seizures behind the rifle: from sandbags most shooters are within .25 moa of the true cone. I.E, “pulled” shots generally aren’t. They are just apart of the cone that people don’t like.

RWT

WKR
The 2nd & 3rd drops are very interesting to me. You experienced the exact same issue I did. This is also the reason I stumbled into RS a few years ago. Google "scope zero retention test" and it leads you here. I would sight the rifle in, felt good, two 5 shot groups that are sub MOA, drove home, 3 miles of semi rough, poorly patched country roads, then 30 miles of highway. Rifle went in the safe for a week. The following weekend I would shoot a 5 shot group as my last gun as I want to leave on a good note and this scope sat on my most accurate rifle. The group shifted 1", generally up and to the left; same sub MOA, group, but it shifted. I always assumed it was me. This happened to me at least 3 times over a two-year period. The following weekend it shot to the original point of aim.

I did use this same scope to kill a buck at 516 yards using hold over. Bullet struck exactly where I was aiming. Maybe pure luck, but I was sighted in for MPBR and physically walk my shots into the reticle prior to the season. I use clay pigeons and work backwards from the estimated MPBR until I hit four in a row while using the reticle. Redneck, but it is what I was taught to do if I am using holdover lines. I am failing miserably now with MILS and the apps to give me dial in. I assume it is my failure on the inputs and not understanding how to use the app. I need to find someone local or a class. I am reverting back to what I know, physically play with the turret at 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 to have correct dialing figures. Worst case is more trigger time and better understanding what the load will do at distance.

I will continue to play with this scope to see how it performs.

Now to Mavens claim the RS 1 & 1.2 are the same. I am in Sales and if you give me 20 mins I can make the $h!t sandwich I am selling you taste like the best meal you have ever experienced. That being said, I can see how Maven contends adding the illumination and dialing turrets requires an updated housing, however, it is technically, the same scope as before. This is no different than a software company releasing a new version, same functionality, we just let the market beta test and we corrected the known issues. Overall I am happy with the scope and the results. I do not expect the variance in the zero to impact my hunting with how I intend to use it.