Q&A Leupold Ultra M3A 10x Field Eval

Axle

FNG
I always wondered how reliable those scopes were. Thanks for the write-up!

Yep, 1 MOA per click for elevation. They are neat scopes. And proof that these companies could build scopes that work, if they wanted to.
I wish they would put more effort into making their scopes more reliable. I'd love to have more reliable options and there is a lot that I like about Leupys scopes but they are currently a no-go for me.

Deywalker

FNG
Aside from it's disadvantages of being Mil/Moa and not having the Mil-quad, how to these stack up to the SWFA fixed powers? I always thought it would be cool to pick one of these up if I had the chance, but people want crazy prices for them.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Aside from it's disadvantages of being Mil/Moa and not having the Mil-quad, how to these stack up to the SWFA fixed powers? I always thought it would be cool to pick one of these up if I had the chance, but people want crazy prices for them.

Reliability wise from what I’ve seen they’re similar. Mil/MOA is heavy compromise and not worth it to me. “Glass”, reticle, and turrets are all substantially better in the SWFA. The Mark 4 fixed powers are durable and reliable scopes from the 80’s and it shows.

Having said that, I have an Israeli Mark 4 6x with duplex, and for a general scope it is quite good.

Form, catching up on some reading here. Allowing for price increases, what would one of these Leupolds cost today?

Tom-D

FNG
Hi i know this is a really old test but i wanted to ask if the older variable mark 4s share the same reliability as the fixed? Or is it strictly the fixed powers

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hi i know this is a really old test but i wanted to ask if the older variable mark 4s share the same reliability as the fixed? Or is it strictly the fixed powers

No. Just the fixed powers.