Putting together a “kill kit” bag

Louro

FNG
A foldable bone saw, foldable knife with replacement blades, also has a foldable gut hook, couple zip ties, dedicated flashlight just for blood trailing, rubber gloves just in case and can also use one as storage for the heart.
Milboy,

What do you mean by a dedicate flashlight for blood trailing?

intunegp

WKR
Milboy,

I think he's saying just whatever flashlight you'd like to use, and don't use it for anything else. If your headlamp dies on a blood trail and you don't have backup batteries or a backup light, your SOL. Having one in your kill kit with fresh batteries that only comes out for following blood/processing the animal should be pretty fail-safe as far as having light when you need it.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have started carrying a couple of shoulder length disposable gloves also. It seems I always end up with blood up to my elbows and the longer gloves help.

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
Milboy,

just what @intunegp said, i hate helping other guys tracking that use the same light for everything so when its time to use their light for tracking its either weak light, dying or dies and then we only have my light.

A foldable bone saw, foldable knife with replacement blades, also has a foldable gut hook, couple zip ties, dedicated flashlight just for blood trailing, rubber gloves just in case and can also use one as storage for the heart.
That’s a dam good idea for the heart!
I carry a small saw,I know it can be done without but most guys cut them selfs reaching in.With my saw I cut all the way up and split his chest and can easily see what I’m doing.

Last edited:

intunegp

WKR
Here's one for you guys that split the sternum...I'm enough of a weight weenie in other places that I don't mind the 7oz penalty to bring this guy along. Slim enough to slide right in my kill kit. Way easier than finding an appropriate stick and stays put once you place it. Fantastic for deer, can be used on elk but not big enough to really open things up.

Outdoor Edge Steel Stick

Louro

FNG
That’s a dam good idea for the heart!
I carry a small saw,I know it can be done without but most guys cut them selfs reaching in.With my saw I cut all the way up and split his chest and can easily see what I’m doing.
just what @intunegp said, i hate helping other guys tracking that use the same light for everything so when its time to use their light for tracking its either weak light, dying or dies and then we only have my light.
Thanks, I was hoping that you had a specific light that made the blood more visible. Lol

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I was hoping that you had a specific light that made the blood more visible. Lol
i used to have one from bushnell that felt like a spotlight but it must have grew legs. now i have different one that i havent used yet this year, uses 4 double a batteries and supposse to run 5 hours on high. its a 1,000 lumens which seems to be pretty good to pick up blood imo.

Louro

FNG
i used to have one from bushnell that felt like a spotlight but it must have grew legs. now i have different one that i havent used yet this year, uses 4 double a batteries and supposse to run 5 hours on high. its a 1,000 lumens which seems to be pretty good to pick up blood imo.
Who makes the new one? UV ?