Putting my rifle on a diet

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
Just changed out my TL3 with a Ti3. Now I'm sitting at 9 pounds scoped with a magazine and 3 rounds. Pondering how I may be able to bring it down further.

Currently on a gunwerks clymr stock, which weighs around 33 ounces. Wondering what options, if any, there are that may be lighter with a recessed pic rail like the clymr. I like the manners pro hunter, but it seems after including the mini chassis there wouldn't be much, if any, weight savings.

I know my next best option would be changing my scope from the nx8 currently on it. However, I'm not sure I've found a candidate I like better. Maybe I go back to March or try a Leupold Mk5.

Last option to look at is the bottom metal. I'm using a dbm, but considering bdl. Anyone know a rough weight difference between the two?

Samson7x

WKR
What barrel material? If steel, consider fluting. NXS 2-10 would bring weight down. What rings you using? Proof elevation stock is <20oz but no integrated pic rail.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Saving ounces once you get where you are comes from the ultralight components. If you swapped out scope, rings, stock, and went BDL you could probably get to a pound or just over. In the end, it can cost less and save more weight if you go with a different barrel if it were shorter, fluted, carbon fiber, etc. That's where I have looked first cause it is easiest.
  • Around 26 ounces is on the lighter side of stock from many manufacturers. Some are dipping below it recently.
  • Lots of us run the MK5 3.6-18 and really like it. I have been running mine for years now.
  • Hawkins makes some lightweight rings that I trust, direct mount can save you a few ounces without a rail.
  • Hawkins also makes some nice bottom metal for mags or BDL. Their hunter DBM and mags can save some weight possibly. Looks like XLR is selling lightweight AICS mags at 2.5 or 2.7 ounces that could run with Hawkins bottom metal. Depending on caliber that could be an option to save weight over what you have now.
  • Ultimately, a Hawkins Obendorf BDL bottom metal weight is the lightest for about 2.6oz / 2.4oz – Long/Short Action

OP
gledeasy

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
Get one of the newer Clymrs. They’re about 26 ounces.
That's interesting. I'll have to look into that.

Barrel is carbon (sendaro light)

I know my scope weight could greatly be improved upon. But if I could get close to another half pound before the scope I would hate it.

Macintosh

WKR
Not sure whats on it already but a Microcell recoil pad will save you almost half a pound compared to a 1” rubber pad.