Punk Rock Mule Deer

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Punk Rock Mule Deer.jpeg

Here's another podcast from Mule Deer Days in Rock Springs, Wyoming

This one with Monteith Shop Researcher Rhiannon Jakopak. Her GPS-collar research showed that what many of us believed about fawns learning their migration routes from their mothers might not always be true. Fascinating...

@Jaden Bales @ntrlbrnhunter

Last edited:
Great information!

One question I have on this data is: are the winter and summer areas the same with different routes between the two areas than their mothers? OR migration routes are different and lead to different summer and/or winter areas than the mothers use as well?

Great information!

One question I have on this data is: are the winter and summer areas the same with different routes between the two areas than their mothers? OR migration routes are different and lead to different summer and/or winter areas than the mothers use as well?
Pretty sure it was the second one. They just up and find totally new summer habitat.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great information!

Hey,

depends on definition of different.

Her conclusion was that half these fawns abandoned the migration route mom used.

I don't remember whether they ended up on a completely different winter/summer ranges, but they did use completely different migration routes-- almost going 90 degrees off of mom's migration route in almost every case.

Hey,

depends on definition of different.

Her conclusion was that half these fawns abandoned the migration route mom used.

I don't remember whether they ended up on a completely different winter/summer ranges, but they did use completely different migration routes-- almost going 90 degrees off of mom's migration route in almost every case.
I would define different as outside of their mothers home range. I was always under the impression that the fawns will use the same basins/drainages as their mother.

This information definitely seems to break the mold. Thats punk rock 🤘😂

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
Some great information, very interesting.

Did she give any clarification if the punk rock deer were majority males vs females or was that information not given?