Pulling through on an index

I recently, after MANY year shooting, started refining my release and working on pulling though with back tension. I’d considered switching from an index to a thumb but was told, and also secretly knew, that the release wasn’t my issue. Anyways I’m making excellent progress rather fast. After a week it’s starting to feel second nature. Im shooting a Truball centerline release which has travel and sensitivity adjustments for the trigger. I got travel set at recommended minimum. That being once adjusted to where the sear automatically releases, I move the screw back in 1/4 turn. For the last year I’ve been shooting this release with a hair trigger. And when I started experimenting with back tension the week before last, I kept it that way. It seemed to work really well. But I keep researching and the other day seen people saying that for back tension you want a heavier trigger. I read people saying they would crank their Carter indexes up to 10-11 lbs for back tension. I didn’t understand and this made no sense until I thought about it. This morning I cranked my sensitivity screw in about 3 turns and it actually feels better. Now at full draw when I wrap my finger over the trigger I don’t have to mentally think not to accidentally set it off before I start contracting and pulling. How many others that shoot this way prefer a heavy trigger vs a hair trigger? What are your shooting styles?

Bump79

WKR
If you like that - Check out the Scott Verge release. Awesome combo of allowing you to pull to a click then pull through the shot

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot the index Carter quickie and have it set relatively heavy, I don’t know the actual weight though. One thing that I make sure I do is set my index really short so I can wrap my finger all the way around and I even touch my index finger tip to the tip of my thumb. This makes it so I can only set it off with back tension. I found it works great for me and makes the break timing more consistent and reliable. I’ve tried to switch to handhelds but never felt great for me.

OP
fulldraw71
I shoot the index Carter quickie and have it set relatively heavy, I don’t know the actual weight though. One thing that I make sure I do is set my index really short so I can wrap my finger all the way around and I even touch my index finger tip to the tip of my thumb. This makes it so I can only set it off with back tension. I found it works great for me and makes the break timing more consistent and reliable. I’ve tried to switch to handhelds but never felt great for me.
I too have mine set so my finger can wrap around it and touch my thumb. The centerline has an aluminum body that has a machined radius on your face side that is curved to allow your thumb a perfect place to sit when aiming. When I tried touching my finger to my thumb this curved part made contact with my jaw and was kind of annoying. With my thumb riding there I get that consistent anchor of my thumb below the jaw. I haven’t experimented though with swiveling the body at a slight angle so that radius is downward towards say 4 o clock to clear my jaw and having my hook on a slight angle to the loop. Right now it feels awesome but I’m still in the experimental stage. Got to keep an open mind

Marshfly

WKR
Heavier trigger for sure. This year I swapped from the Spots Hogg Wise Guy with its notorious light trigger to the Stan Solex set pretty heavy and man what a positive difference.

nphunter

WKR
I also wrapped my finger around and touched the tip of my thumb when I used to shoot a trigger. For me, the best trigger releases were the Scott's with the small heads and the straps so you could shorten them way up and easily get your finger around them.

Shoot with a heavier trigger for back tension. That would be my only advice but I don’t shoot with back tension. It messed me up big time. I was launching arrows all over to the sky. I pull the trigger just like I do on a rifle, slow and steady. Works great for me. The only thing I might change is going to a thumb. I may like it more or hate it. I at least would like to try it.

OP
fulldraw71
Shoot with a heavier trigger for back tension. That would be my only advice but I don’t shoot with back tension. It messed me up big time. I was launching arrows all over to the sky. I pull the trigger just like I do on a rifle, slow and steady. Works great for me. The only thing I might change is going to a thumb. I may like it more or hate it. I at least would like to try it.
Since I’ve posted this I set my trigger back to hair and started shooting this way again. Controlled command style and my groups actually got better lol. Good to experiment for sure

ForkLift

FNG
Same. I experimented a lot with back tension on my Like Mike II. I would fling arrows all over the place. I never felt stable using back tension.

TheTone

WKR
Been shooting a Carter two shot with a heavy trigger for close to 20 years. I didn’t realize what I was doing when I started but i immediately shot it better than what I did my previous release.

I picked up a thumb a year or so ago and wish I could get it heavier than it goes.

I’ll probably alternate between them at times just to make things different and keep myself from bad habits