Puffy Pants Recommendation

Howdy Fellas,

Doing a 3rd rifle CO elk hunt soon. Will be spending the first few days glassing on a pretty exposed peak and want to make sure I’m prepared for the cold. I have a FL Chamberlain and just ordered the Kuiu Super Down Pro Jacket as well. Need insulated pants now.

For Puffy Pants I am considering these:

Kuiu Super Down Pro Pants - $245

Stone Glacier Grumman Pants - $230

Feather Friends Helios - $290

Any recommendations on which to choose?

Thanks!

Geewhiz

WKR
I bought the black ovis ones last year on sale for like $100 bucks. Not sure how they stand up to the others but I would recommend them, especially for the price.

FAAFO

WKR
Does anyone know how the SG fit size wise?
Small says 30+ and medium says 33+. I assume that’s waist size and I’m a 32” waist. Not sure if small is best or medium

What temps have you run in them? I was just worried they may not be warm enough.
teens and 20's. I have them for about 5 years now and they are a game changer. My wife loves hers, she uses them for everything, from spring to fall fly fishing under her waders to winter snowmobilling.

Solm

FNG
It depends on your needs. For expedition life, I love the MH compressor. They’re burly enough that I don’t worry about actually wearing them. I also have the light montbell puffy pants and they rip if you look at them hard, plus you can’t get them on or off with shoes on, and they don’t have pockets… but they’re so light they can go everywhere with me and fit better under layers.

If I could go back, I would get the MH stretchdown pants as a lighter pair. But again, those are on the lighter side, not what I would want for camping in -20 temps significantly less sleeping bag than I should have brought.

JohnB

WKR
It depends on your needs. For expedition life, I love the MH compressor. They’re burly enough that I don’t worry about actually wearing them. I also have the light montbell puffy pants and they rip if you look at them hard, plus you can’t get them on or off with shoes on, and they don’t have pockets… but they’re so light they can go everywhere with me and fit better under layers.

If I could go back, I would get the MH stretchdown pants as a lighter pair. But again, those are on the lighter side, not what I would want for camping in -20 temps significantly less sleeping bag than I should have brought.
Here is a second vote in the MH Compressor a sa great pant when a super light or ultra warm set isn't needed. I've got a set that I bought used 15 years ago that have survived years of snowmobiling on roads, hunting and backcountry skiing. They've got a bunch of holes and aren't nearly as warm as they were