PSA: Welder Flash Burns Suck

GoatPackr

WKR
So you wear safety glasses under your hood?
Yep. It's required on most jobs anyway. Sometimes when it's cold and wet out I'll pull them off when I'm cramped in a tight spot and fogging up. If I'm around others cutting, grinding, or welding I'll have them on.. have never had anything in my eyes that needed to be dug out either. Situational awareness goes along ways to not getting hurt on the job.

Kris

Wrench

WKR
UA fitter welder for 25 years. Worked in plenty paper mills, refineries, brewery, fab work you name it. Auto hood or bust. Currently running a 12 year old miller digital elite. Only hood I own. Constantly position welding where I'm wedged in and no way to flip a hood down. I've never had flash burned eyes. Mostly welded stainless TIG. The key is wearing good safety glasses. They prevent that arc from getting you from the sides and behind even when working in large stainless tanks with 4 other welders.

Kris
I have a bunch of hoods but my digital elite is still my favorite.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
Forty years ago I was the service manager for the local Lincoln Welder dealer. My desk was between the parts dept and an area set up to let customers try out different welders and processes. The company held a welding class one day and by the time I got home that night I was almost blind from the flash.
I used a Huntsman hood for a lot of years but after I had c3,4and5 fused it got uncomfortable to bob my head to get the hood to come down. Now I use a Miller auto darkening, took some getting used to but I've gotten to like it.

Weldor

WKR
Been runnung a Optrel lately, excellent lens. Also used Miller Elite for years no problems. My best burn was from 400 amp on magnesium Tig. Miller Dynasty 700. A hoot to weld but gave me a radiation burn through my fr shirt and got my ears pretty good too.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
How many of guys on here are CWI’s?
Been considering chasing one of those down to have another card to play in the future.

I was a CWI, 99% in the shop, almost never inspecting in the field. I let my certs expire because I went 2 years straight without needing it, and I don't expect to need it again. It was a stepping stone of sorts for me. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Required on most sites.
I would also advise you have him get in the habit of using foam earplugs at all times. Getting a red hot bb in your ear is painful
I heard an old-timer at a previous employer say that on the Alaska pipeline they'd have a couple guys welding, one on top and one on bottom, and sometimes another guy holding shields to keep this from happening. According to this guy, those red hot BBs would burn clear down the ear canal and through your eardrum. Not sure if he was full of it or not, but sounded awful.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Getting that shit in your ears is not a good time.
My friend was laying down making a cut on 14" pipe with the cutting torch. He was wearing 501 Button up jeans, a hot dinglebeery got in and burned the head of his Di*k. Not good. He was out of commission for about two months, his wife was pissed.

Last edited: