PSA 18 inch 6.5 grendel accuracy issues

I am hoping to get some ideas and feedback from people who are smarter than me. I bought a PSA 6.5 complete upper to serve as a all purpose short range hog and deer gun where shots are between 50-250 yards. The upper was placed on a Anderson lower that I bought at cabelas but the lower part kit was also purchased from PSA.

The gun was topped with a Burris Pepr mount and Leupold 3x9 that was on my 308 that shot 1/2 inch groups all day.

The gun shoots groups of anywhere between 3-5 inches at 100 yards.

I had the gun for 2 years and though it just needed more rounds down the barrel so I try to get it out when I can find a box of ammo to run through it. At this point I don’t think I can go back to PSA this long after and claim it does not shoot. I have about 200 rounds down the barrel.

I know when people say something does not shoot well the first response is to try different ammo or reload but I was dumb and bought 300+ rounds of Hornady black and SST and don’t reload so just trying to make what I have work if possible as other 6.5 factory ammo is limited right now.

I adjusted the gas block to ensure it’s cycling correctly. The gun has been shot on bags and on a bipod and I insured the bipod mount was not touching the gas block.

The trigger is a 4lb plus trigger so I know there is some minor user error with a heavier pull but I don’t recall ever pulling shots that bad on other rifles which I can get sub moa with a 2.5 lb trigger to assume that’s all of the issue.

Would a new trigger or scope mount be your next replacement part or would you just jump to the conclusion that it’s a bad barrel? Anyone have similar experiences with PSA rifles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same PSA upper maybe 7 years ago and it was finicky with 123s. Found a solid handload with the Sierra 85 gr varmint bullets, of course discontinued. After having too many other rifles that shoot great I just bought a new Faxon barrel for it. I think they run about $200.

If you think the scope is good to go I’d get rid of it. Good luck.

I bought a psa 18" grendel upper a few years ago. I first took it to the range with hornady custom 123gn sst. It was shooting 6" groups at 100 yards. I was about to send it back, but then I tried some 100 grain wolf steel case and it put 5 shots into a 1.5 inch group.

Then I bought some hornady black loaded with 123 eldm bullets and it has been sub moa for 5 shots with that ammo. I also handload 123 eldm bullets with Benchmark powder and get sub moa.

I recently bought another box of hornady custom 123 sst and it still shoots 6" with that ammo.

Most of my ar15s shoot everything around 2moa. My psa 18" grendel is my most accurate AR or my least accurate, depending on the ammo. It is really bizarre to me.

I just remembered something. On my PSA, the handguard was extremely narrow. It barely had any clearance around the gas block. Every time the gun fired, the gas block would bounce off the handguard. To check yours, grab the muzzle end of the barrel and the handguard and see how difficult it is to make contact. Also you might be able to see inside the handguard with a flashlight and look for signs of impacts.

There are a lot of AR15s on the market that have this problem. Manufacturers are making the handguards too narrow.

If someone has doubts about this, watch rifles being fired in super slow motion on YouTube. The barrel flexes and whips like a fire hose.

OP
TXtoWest05
Thanks for the response! I have not tried any wolf brand but that’s easy to find so I’ll give a box of that a try and check the hand guard! I did not think of that. If all else fails I think we will go down the barrel swap route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LCV

FNG
PSA is usually good about customer service. How long ago you bought it shouldn’t matter. I would call them or even make a post on their forum before going the barrel change route.

gman82001

WKR
PSA will take care of you but I’d check a different load and anything else mentioned here before dealing with the hassle of sending it in.

Bed the barrel and increase barrel nut torque 10 ft lbs at a time to your comfort level.