Protein Powder Brands

jm1607

WKR
I think the 2 best protein powders on the market quality wise are Jay Robb and Bluebonnet. I doubt they have aspartame but I haven't looked. They run about the same price and ARE NOT cheap, but like most things you get what you pay for. I drink 1-2 big shakes a day so I finally decided to switch to these from Dymatize ISO-100. I figure if I drink that much Whey daily I want it to be the best for my body possible. I bought a small strawberry Jay Robb and a small vanilla Bluebonnet. Pretty much whichever I like the taste and consistency of better I'm going to continue to buy.

Lawnboi

WKR
Hammer whey. Only whey iv tried that doesn't give me the shits from the lactose.

I don't use a lot of whey anymore, only when I feel I need it. If I'm not eating well.

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
The "cleanest" and most affordable whey isolate I have found is About Time brand. It uses Stevia. I like it much better mixed with almond milk than with water but it seems pretty clean and is affordable(ish). For a casein, I like Allmax FX for a "clean" milk derivative slow release protein. This one uses sucralose as a sweetener. PM me and I can give you a place to get a good price on these if you're interested. If you really want to clean it up, you can avoid flavors of any kind and go with plant based proteins, which will be cleaner but less readily available for amino acid uptake and muscle repair.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Stevia tastes just like aspertame, ass! Plus the jury is still out whether it efs with your insulin levels.

PJG

WKR
I am not trying to be an @ss, but am going to ask the question, why even bother with protein powders. Are you tracking your macros? If so and you are deficient in your protein levels, (how many grams/lb of body weight are you getting) then OK, I guess I can see that adding a supplement makes sense. At the end of the day however, it is still a SUPPLEMENT, as in meaning you are supplementing something that you are unable to take in thru food. But, if your worried about added junk in your protein powder, why not just avoid all together and get more natural protein in your diet (chicken, fish, lean red meat etc...)

If you are truly tracking macros and maybe even micros and need to add more protein then maybe look at True Nutrition, you can make your own custom protein powder going thru them.

Again, not trying to be an @ss, but maybe it would be easier to rethink your diet.

jm1607

WKR
I am not trying to be an @ss, but am going to ask the question, why even bother with protein powders. Are you tracking your macros? If so and you are deficient in your protein levels, (how many grams/lb of body weight are you getting) then OK, I guess I can see that adding a supplement makes sense. At the end of the day however, it is still a SUPPLEMENT, as in meaning you are supplementing something that you are unable to take in thru food. But, if your worried about added junk in your protein powder, why not just avoid all together and get more natural protein in your diet (chicken, fish, lean red meat etc...)

If you are truly tracking macros and maybe even micros and need to add more protein then maybe look at True Nutrition, you can make your own custom protein powder going thru them.

Again, not trying to be an @ss, but maybe it would be easier to rethink your diet.

I just don't get hungry enough during the day to eat the amount of protein I need to build muscle. I can force feed myself for a few days but it gets old fast, then I stop reaching my goal. There's only so much lean protein I can eat. Eating chicken 2-3 times a day starts killing me after a week, I start to dread my next meal. For me it's so much easier to drink the protein. Instead of eating like 6 protein heavy meals (30-35g) during the day I eat about 3 and have a couple shakes. I would rather eat solid food, but its just so easy and makes more sense for me. I think of protein powder less of a supplement and more as food, which is how I justify spending the $$ on it. The shakes are meal replacements for me, and whey is a complete protein. Plus, after a workout it's nice to get protein in you soon after and whey gets absorbed in your body pretty dang fast, faster than most other proteins. On top of all of that, protein shakes also help with my sweet tooth so I'm less likely to cheat and rip into some chocolate or something ;)

OP
Brandon Pattison
No offense taken. I ask because people like you know way more than I do. I have been trying to eat cleaner and breakfast has me craving a big farmer's breakfast but they are loaded with saturated fat and cure (sausage). I am starving all day long and I am eating beans out of the jar, hummus, peanut butter, protein bars, nuts, salmon, tuna and Greek yogurt along with fruits and veggies and meat. It pisses me off that I am like that but I have never had the micro or macros checked, whatever that is. I had blood tests last fall and my doctor said I could buy health insurance very easily with my results. I am 5'10" and right at 186#. I want to get down to 175# but my body ain't having it.

PJG

WKR
No offense taken. I ask because people like you know way more than I do. I have been trying to eat cleaner and breakfast has me craving a big farmer's breakfast but they are loaded with saturated fat and cure (sausage). I am starving all day long and I am eating beans out of the jar, hummus, peanut butter, protein bars, nuts, salmon, tuna and Greek yogurt along with fruits and veggies and meat. It pisses me off that I am like that but I have never had the micro or macros checked, whatever that is. I had blood tests last fall and my doctor said I could buy health insurance very easily with my results. I am 5'10" and right at 186#. I want to get down to 175# but my body ain't having it.

I get it brother, I know what that is like. Do you have a smart phone? If so download the app myfitnesspal, it's a free calorie tracking app. The nice thing about this app is that you can scan the bar code on whatever food you buy and it will automatically fill in all of the pertinent information that you need. Starting out all you need to worry about are 1) total calories, 2) how many grams protein, 3) how many grams carbs, 4) how many grams fats. Your grams of protein, carbs and fats are your macros or we can refer to them as your big three. Learn how to track these and how to track your total calories and you are well ahead of 90 percent of the US population. Start out slow give yourself a good month just getting food into your system and tracking it. Once you have figured out how easy it is to track these things, then start managing your macros, how many gram protein, carbs, fats, etc. Start off trying to get at least one gram of protein per lb of body weight.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I did that. I don't have the time to do it (pronounced, "I don't want to."). It is like me keeping a diary which doesn't work. I use the mirror and scales method. I do recall that my fat content intake was higher than normal and my protein was a bit low. So that is why I have been leaning more towards protein. If I had a more regimented job I would be forced to not eat. But I stand in front of a computer most of the day and ready to eat my own arm off. Discipline for food is not easy when you are hungry 5 minutes after running your face through the trough.

jm1607

WKR

You're on a good track! Just keep it up and try not to cheat much, it's freakin hard. Diet is about 80-90% of losing weight.

By macros he means your protein/carb/fat ingestion. Make sure you eat alot of protein, a good amount of good fat, and not too many carbs. When I diet I try to do about a 50/30/20 ratio. When you don't eat alot of carbs you do starve. It's tough! Eat alot of veggies, low cal snacks, etc. May want to buy an appetite suppressant if it's too hard?

Watch your caloric intake too, that's the key to losing weight. Find out what your daily maintenance calories should be at and subtract about 500. For 186#s, your maintenance is probably around 2400 (just a guess)?? So you should shoot for 1900 or so a day.. The hard part for me was learning about how many calories everything I was eating added up to. It just takes time and research..

jm1607

WKR
I did that. I don't have the time to do it (pronounced, "I don't want to."). It is like me keeping a diary which doesn't work. I use the mirror and scales method. I do recall that my fat content intake was higher than normal and my protein was a bit low. So that is why I have been leaning more towards protein. If I had a more regimented job I would be forced to not eat. But I stand in front of a computer most of the day and ready to eat my own arm off. Discipline for food is not easy when you are hungry 5 minutes after running your face through the trough.

You need to load up on lots of healthy low cal snacks, only way you'll get through it.. Rice cakes, nuts, etc.. Just snack like hell

You don't have to keep a journal or anything, just start eyeballing stuff. As long as you are in the ballpark you're good. Don't track your fat. Just try to hit your protein goal and eat as few a carbs as possible..

Trr15

WKR
I've been buying the 5lb bags of muscletech at SAMs club. 20g protein/1g fat per serving and zero aspartame. Doesn't taste bad and serves as a meal replacement for breakfast a lot of days. ( never been a breakfast eater, but I realize the benefits of nutrition at the beginning of the day)