Proposed Light Weight Rain Gear Test..

Flatbow

Lil-Rokslider
I just returned from a sheep hunt in the southern part of the Alaska Range. Besides my normal rain bibs/coat that I take for a little colder weather, I took a new set of Ultra Light rain gear (Jacket & pants) Coretec by TrueTimber that I got from Sportsman's Warehouse. $120 for the set. We encountered days of heavy rain and busted a lot of alder brush. Thoroughly impressed with how they held up in the alder jungles and in keeping me dry. With very little movement I overheat and we were going straight up. As light as this stuff is, I love it....

7mag.

WKR
I got a Kuiu Chugach jacket and pants a few months ago but haven't really put them to the test, until yesterday. I packed out of my high buck hunt camp a day early due to nasty wind and rain and we were totally socked in. We had about 3 miles of busting through alder and vine maple hell during a rain storm before a halfway decent trail. The Chugach set held up great, and kept me dry. Today I took a 5 minute shower in them, to rinse off the dried mud, and they kept me completely dry again. So far I am completely happy with the Chugach rain gear.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a chance to get out for a few days over the weekend on a bear hunt. I took the Chugach NX and the First Lite Stormtight. We did see 4 black bears, but the brownie’s eluded us. ;(

Initial thoughts:
Both jackets are in a size medium. However, the Stormtight is a looser fit than the Chugach NX. For perspective, my hunting buddy is 6’1” 170lbs. He usually wears a large jacket and prefers a looser fit due to how he wears his pistol (Alaskan Guide chest holster). He was able to wear the Stormtight in a Medium, could have worn the Chugach NX, but it would be a little tight over the pistol. I was able to wear my binos under the Chugach NX and it was not overly tight, just wanted folks to know that if you are skinnier, or like a closer fit, then check out the Chugach NX fit. If you have broader shoulders or like a looser fit than the fit of the Stormtight is probably more to your liking.

Both jackets breathed very well. We purposely did some hiking in our puff jackets to get "sweaty." We pushed it enough to get a good sweat going and while we were both a little damp (close to the skin) neither jacket was wet at all on the inside when we took them off.

We busted through a lot of wet brush over the weekend and the jackets did not leak. Weather was a mixture of rain and mist, but not a heavy rain storm to really push the waterproofness. The Chugach NX was slightly louder than the Stormtight in the brush. However, both jackets are new and at that point had not been washed. I spoke with KUIU and they stated their jacket will quiet down after a few washes. Example: while busting through brush (me wearing the Chugach NX, buddy in the Stormtight-him in the lead) he could hear the brush against my jacket over the noise of his own jacket.

As we were driving home I asked my buddy about this thoughts on the Stormtight as he spent most of the days we were out, in the jacket. He said he has spent a lot of money on rain gear over the years and both jackets are light years better than anything he has used. (His current jacket is an Alaskan Guide Rain Jacket in Outfitter camo that I cannot find on Cabela’s website). He really likes the fit, the details, the material, and overall qualities of the Stormtight. He said given the two jackets in a size medium he would chose the Stormtight, but we agreed that a size Large in the Chugach NX would be a better comparison fit wise for his build. We also really like the Dry Earth color of the Stormtight. The Chugach NX is in VERDE. I still prefer VIAS, but color / pattern does not affect performance. :) I was lucky to get the Stormtight jacket back from him. : )

We both wished that both jackets were a few inches longer. But that add weights so we understand why they are the length they are.

I thought a lot of both jackets. But lots more testing to do before I compile the final results. The Sitka Dewpoint jacket arrives today and I have both the Marmot Precip and the MontBell jacket ready to go. Looks like I’ll have rainy weather this weekend so the test continues. : )

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife was looking at the closet last night and said I was out of control...
rainjackets3 - Copy.jpg

From Left to Right:
Patagonia Rainshadow - MARS Series, Alpha Green
Cloudviel Zorro - Tundra
Go Lite Jacket - gift from work, model not known or found, fugly blue purple, but a legit jacket for fishing and non backpacking (breath-ability issues)
Mont-Bell Versalite
KUIU Chugach VIAS
KUIU Chugach NX - Verde
Marmot Precip - Forge Gray
Sitka Dewpoint - Open Country
First Lite Stormtight - Dry Earth...

Just wanted you guys to know I had the jackets in hand and the test is as real as I can make it.
Still sticking to my original 5 (KUIU Chugach NX, First Lite Boundary Stormtight, Marmot Precip, Mont-Bell Versalite, and Sitka Dewpoint) but man that is lot of jackets. : )

I went for a trail run last night in the Mont-Bell Versalite. While running in any rain jacket is not going to be fun, this jacket disappointed me. Its super light, a very good minimalist jacket, but breathability was poor. It was an easy run too as I took my 7 year old along with. No rain, just a lots of mud and some wet brush, yet the inside was fairly damp at the end. To early to write it off, but just wanted to put that out there. They claim 20,000 g/m2/24hrs...

Once again kudos to First Lite, KUIU, and Sitka for playing along. I now have more retail value in my rain gear than cost of my two first cars combined... : )
Rough guess is $1500+ (not counting rain pants). Anyone have a safe they would recommend? :)

chindits

WKR
Surprised to see an advertisor like Kryptek didn't respond to this. It seems like they easily made the weight cut but just dropped the ball with a sample?

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
In all fairness Luke, Aron, and others are testing Kryptek pretty hard.. :)

chindits

WKR
I just wanted to clarify, since I made a 2 progned effort with Kryptek. Butch and Nick thank you for the quick replies to my e mail. You should address any product samples with High Country. I am a suggester and not a tester. I just wanted you to have the opportunity to participate in this review. Good luck.

Last edited:
My wife was looking at the closet last night and said I was out of control...
View attachment 10602

From Left to Right:
Patagonia Rainshadow - MARS Series, Alpha Green
Cloudviel Zorro - Tundra
Go Lite Jacket - gift from work, model not known or found, fugly blue purple, but a legit jacket for fishing and non backpacking (breath-ability issues)
Mont-Bell Versalite
KUIU Chugach VIAS
KUIU Chugach NX - Verde
Marmot Precip - Forge Gray
Sitka Dewpoint - Open Country
First Lite Stormtight - Dry Earth...

Just wanted you guys to know I had the jackets in hand and the test is as real as I can make it.
Still sticking to my original 5 (KUIU Chugach NX, First Lite Boundary Stormtight, Marmot Precip, Mont-Bell Versalite, and Sitka Dewpoint) but man that is lot of jackets. : )

I went for a trail run last night in the Mont-Bell Versalite. While running in any rain jacket is not going to be fun, this jacket disappointed me. Its super light, a very good minimalist jacket, but breathability was poor. It was an easy run too as I took my 7 year old along with. No rain, just a lots of mud and some wet brush, yet the inside was fairly damp at the end. To early to write it off, but just wanted to put that out there. They claim 20,000 g/m2/24hrs...

Once again kudos to First Lite, KUIU, and Sitka for playing along. I now have more retail value in my rain gear than cost of my two first cars combined... : )
Rough guess is $1500+ (not counting rain pants). Anyone have a safe they would recommend? :)
Nothing wrong with that closet what-so-ever, and if you need a good recommendation on a safe, and the size of your apparel is large, then I would recommend my safe for a good place to store them.
In your opinion, is the KUIU Chugach NX a much better product than the original Chugach?

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing wrong with that closet what-so-ever, and if you need a good recommendation on a safe, and the size of your apparel is large, then I would recommend my safe for a good place to store them.
In your opinion, is the KUIU Chugach NX a much better product than the original Chugach?
Well I'm quite sure in the end I will have to reduce some of these jackets. Its bad luck to have that much rain gear! : ) Hard part will be figuring out which ones to keep! : ) To date most of these jackets are in medium. ;)
I have not been able to fully compare Chugach vs. Chugach NX enough to make any claims. I have used both and have not had breathability issues with either (as much as one can expect from rain gear that is). I did push the NX pretty hard last weekend and it did well (see up a few posts). I have to many jackets and not enough time so trying to limit this initial run of tests as best I can. I'll add some of the jackets I listed in as info for comparison sakes as best I can. This project is turning into a full time effort! : ) My neighbor has a local moose tag he is hoping to fill so I'm trying to help him and hoping to do a pack out in the rain. Between that and trying to catch a brownie before they den up its crazy fun busy. : )

Not sure how I missed this, but I'll get a set as soon as I'm back from Idaho.
You can also email Butch at Kryptek and he may be able to get them out sooner.
Aron, I am in no rush. I have a LOT of rain gear to test so please just touch base with me when you back from ID. Good luck out there.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chugach vs. Chugach NX - I had some time today so I sat down and looked them over.
Chugach - I initially liked the hood better. It has a better brim (have to have both jackets in hand to see what I mean). Chugach has a stiffer brim. No deal killer, but a difference. However, the NX hood is one of the best I have seen for how it secures to the head. Its hurricane proof!
Chugach NX - It has a chest pocket, I like chest pockets (Chugach does not have pocket)
Other than that they seem very similar. Pack about the same, etc. The inside of the NX has a different feel to the material, its nothing notable, but it is slightly nicer. ?? Then again my Chugach has a few years of wear.

Despite a wealth of rain jackets we had a nice weekend with great weather so no rain to run around in. : ) I did spend some time in the Sitka Dewpoint over the last few days. Nothing to really test its limits, but I shot the bow, ran errands, did a spin test, shower test, that sort of thing (family has the sick bug so I stayed close to home most of the weekend). The jacket is well constructed and I like the wrist connectors. They are different than what I have seen. I'll add pictures and a better description in my final write up, but they were a neat oddity. Chest pocket is well sized. Jacket seems a bit short, but that is a common complaint from me on most jackets.

Last edited:
OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure how I missed this, but I'll get a set as soon as I'm back from Idaho.

You can also email Butch at Kryptek and he may be able to get them out sooner.
Aron worked it out and connected me with Butch. Kryptek is being added to the mix. Having this much rain gear in hand, and with winter fast approaching, I won't be able to do a full field test with each piece like I would like to do. Ideally I'd like to take each set on a 4 day plus trip and live in the gear. However, I am doing lots of quick trips (evening hikes/runs, weekend trips) and am trying to bring along and test as much rain gear as possible. The ultimate goal will be to really analyze each piece against other pieces and see how they compare. I'll will do simulated and field tests for breathability and water resistance. Methods used and results will be in the final product. However, conversations with the manufactures and research (reading up on this stuff) reminds that breathability is very subjective and hard to measure. I'll note my process and conclusions and allow you guys to draw conclusions from there.

However, I am in an unique place in that I have a LARGE variety of rain gear on hand from multiple top companies. As such I am offering an opportunity for Anchorage area Roksliders to check out the gear in person. Please note you will have to be patient with me and work around my schedule, but if we can make it work its a great chance to touch and feel the gear and see it side by side with other gear. Please send me a PM and lets see what we can work out. All this gear is pretty much in a size Medium, but it would at least allow you the chance to handle and feel the gear prior to making your next purchase.

Below is the rain gear I have, top list is the gear that is part of the test, bottom list is just additional rain gear I have:
Chugach NX, size M, Verde
First Lite Boundary Stormtight, size M, Dry Earth
Sitka Dewpoint (Jacket and Pant), size M, Optifade
Marmot Precip, size M, gray
Mont-Bell Versalite, size M, gray
Shipping to me:
Kryptek Poseidon (Pants and Jacket)
Kryptek Koldo (Pants and Jacket)

Rain Gear on Hand, not part of review:
Patagonia Rainshadow, size M, Alpha Green
Cloudviel Zorro, size L, Tundra
KUIU Chugah, size M, Vias

I think the biggest difference I have found between the non hunting gear (cheaper stuff) is the material (stretch vs. static material). In my writeup I will walk you through the differences in features, results of my tests, my views on fit and finish, etc. Still hoping to have this done in the next month or two. : )

flatfoot

FNG
Glad you added the Kryptec. I'm looking at an Alaska drop hunt in the Brooks Range next year and am considering the Chugach or Kryptec and possibly First Lite. Looking forward to your review.

colonel00

WKR
I mentioned this over in the Kifaru/MR pack thread but have you given any thought to doing a quantitative test of any sort? I love the field review but unless you did the exact same activities with the exact same conditions for each item then the results you experience may or may not be a true reflection of potential performance.

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with you, doing my best to be as consistent as possible. Any suggestions?

colonel00

WKR
Well, one thought would be to setup some sort of controlled environmental testing. If you had access to a mannequin a hose and some PVC then you have a rain machine. Put each jacket in the "rain" for set periods of time and check for wetting out and leaks by putting a long sleeve T-shirt on the mannequin under the jacket which you could take photos of to document. Different sized holes in the PVC would allow for different rain conditions. Personally, this is my biggest concern with rainwear, the ability to keep the rain out. I think it would be great if you could actually come up with numbers to say that "this jacket" will withstand constant rain at a rate of X gallons per hour for X hours. To be fair, you would want to run multiple tests at multiple rates for each jacket to get a good pool of results.

From there other tests could be developed to test heat retention, perhaps water wicking up a sleeve as some jackets have minimal sleeve protection, breathability (granted this would be tough but you could measure the humidity levels within a jacket), put a heat lamp on the jacket and monitor the temperature and humidity under it over a period of time.

Just some ideas. Definitely a lot of time and effort on your part but I would be happy to help via long distance if I can with test design and number crunching. Besides, you are heading into the dark winter anyway so this will give you something to do until breakup :D

I think it would be great if you could actually come up with numbers to say that "this jacket" will withstand constant rain at a rate of X gallons per hour for X hours.

Drawback to this kind of test is that you will likely see 100% passing rate with any decent gear. Keeping rain out is rarely a problem in my experience. It's water being forced through by walking through brush, crawling, sitting, rubbing on packs, etc that "fails" W/B rain gear.

Yk

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots to consider as I work this. Thanks for comments, keep em coming. :)