Proof Elevation versus Christensen Ridgeline FFT

I won't ever own a Christensen rifle period. Do your homework and read some reviews. There is a reason there is always a ton for sale.

I have a Proof in 28 Nosler that I absolutely love. My best group to date has been with that rifle, .21 moa. I do agree, I don't care for the grip as much as I do on my custom rifles that have a more vertical grip however it's still functional and I can be extremely accurate with it, so maybe it isn't that bad after all.

The grip is actually quite vertical so my gripes with it aren't that. It's a mile from the trigger where it is useless.

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t speak on a proof as I’ve never owned nor Held one of their rifles.. what I will say, is I own (4) Christensen rifles. (1) is an old one that was built back when they actually built rifles.. they reworked 700 actions shaved them and branded them.. chambered in .325WSM ITS HANDS DOWN A NICE RIFLE AND A SHOOTER. It has harvested many animals at many distances…
2nd rifle…I was so happy with the first that many years later, I purchased a ridgeline in .308 for my kid.. I was disappointed immediately after putting my hands on it.. craftsmanship was shit in comparison to my old rifle.. quickly learned that it does not like factory ammo but was able to load for it and got great accuracy with hand loads.
3rd rifle….Last year I bought a 16” .308 MPR on the hide at a great price just for the chassis thinking I’d sell the barelled action. after getting it, I fired it and it is an extremely accurate rifle. I ended up using the chassis on the intended build and putting the BA in a mesa precision carbon stock and keeping it. It has turned out to be a really nice handy little lightweight rifle. Still not happy with the action fit and bolt feel but it does what I need it to.
4th… I had a custom built .243 that I was not using and someone offered to trade a Christensen ridgeline .30 nosler for it. Gave me rifle, brass, loaded ammo, and dies… I’ve not shot factory ammo out of it but the hand loads he gave me are STUPID accurate.. Buuuut I didn’t like the black and grey stock and decided to coat it. Sprayed it with a kahki base coat and it revealed a crack at the center of the top and bottom of the stock.. (did I mention the ridgeline stocks are shit and flimsy)
All this to say.. I own christensens and I’d never go out and buy one new at retail as you never know what you are going to get and for the same reason, I would be hesitant on buying one used unless I had a purpose for components it had.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
As long as you keep the barrel clean, my CA Classic Carbon 300WSM shoots lights out. Im far from a match shooter but i can shoot dime groups at 100 from a sandbag rest off the rail of my back deck. Ive read the bad CA reviews, but my rifle shoots damn good!

Hnthrdr

WKR
I can’t speak on a proof as I’ve never owned nor Held one of their rifles.. what I will say, is I own (4) Christensen rifles. (1) is an old one that was built back when they actually built rifles.. they reworked 700 actions shaved them and branded them.. chambered in .325WSM ITS HANDS DOWN A NICE RIFLE AND A SHOOTER. It has harvested many animals at many distances…
2nd rifle…I was so happy with the first that many years later, I purchased a ridgeline in .308 for my kid.. I was disappointed immediately after putting my hands on it.. craftsmanship was shit in comparison to my old rifle.. quickly learned that it does not like factory ammo but was able to load for it and got great accuracy with hand loads.
3rd rifle….Last year I bought a 16” .308 MPR on the hide at a great price just for the chassis thinking I’d sell the barelled action. after getting it, I fired it and it is an extremely accurate rifle. I ended up using the chassis on the intended build and putting the BA in a mesa precision carbon stock and keeping it. It has turned out to be a really nice handy little lightweight rifle. Still not happy with the action fit and bolt feel but it does what I need it to.
4th… I had a custom built .243 that I was not using and someone offered to trade a Christensen ridgeline .30 nosler for it. Gave me rifle, brass, loaded ammo, and dies… I’ve not shot factory ammo out of it but the hand loads he gave me are STUPID accurate.. Buuuut I didn’t like the black and grey stock and decided to coat it. Sprayed it with a kahki base coat and it revealed a crack at the center of the top and bottom of the stock.. (did I mention the ridgeline stocks are shit and flimsy)
All this to say.. I own christensens and I’d never go out and buy one new at retail as you never know what you are going to get and for the same reason, I would be hesitant on buying one used unless I had a purpose for components it had.View attachment 658760View attachment 658762
Slap a little bondo on er

Own a Mesa fft, love mine but for the price of a Ridgeline the proof has a Origin action which is definitely a step up from the Christensen.

Proof would be my vote. I had a fierce and got rid of it. Heard too many questionable things about their guns and customer service. I next considered Christenson but heard similiar complaints, i.e. lack of quality and customer service but generally a little more consisten w/accuracy compared to fierce. Proof factory rifles were too expensive for me. I would have loved to buy a seekins but they didnt offer a .300 RUM so they were out. Heard alot of really good feedback about seekins. Ended up building a custom .300 RUM off a rem700 for about the same price as a seekins.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
Proof would be my vote. I had a fierce and got rid of it. Heard too many questionable things about their guns and customer service. I next considered Christenson but heard similiar complaints, i.e. lack of quality and customer service but generally a little more consisten w/accuracy compared to fierce. Proof factory rifles were too expensive for me. I would have loved to buy a seekins but they didnt offer a .300 RUM so they were out. Heard alot of really good feedback about seekins. Ended up building a custom .300 RUM off a rem700 for about the same price as a seekins.

I can say that there seems to be no issue w CA customer service.. the above mentioned cracked stock was brought to their attention yesterday. One is in the mail headed to me as we speak.. they only asked for a pic. No hassle…. Nothing!!
Just what’s your address and email me a pic..
reminded me of Leupold old Customer Service

I can say that there seems to be no issue w CA customer service.. the above mentioned cracked stock was brought to their attention yesterday. One is in the mail headed to me as we speak.. they only asked for a pic. No hassle…. Nothing!!
Just what’s your address and email me a pic..
reminded me of Leupold old Customer Service
Hmm thats good to hear! Glad to hear they took good care of you!

Everyone’s acting as if the ridgeline and the proof are of the same pricing.
You missed the point of that statement. Christensen makes a fine rifle, I own one but when you break that $2k mark the Christensen action is outclassed as you are in custom action territory, the Christensen 700 is not a custom, sorry to say it, many better options when you are spending that type of money. This is why I referenced the Origin action, this is a true custom action with alot of great features. So to clarify, the price of the proof is irrelevant. I personally think the Christensen Mesa FFT is possibly the best value for your dollar under $1500, below $1k hard to not choose a Tikka.

LightFoot

WKR
If you had the choice between a Proof Elevation Lightweight Hunter and a Christensen Ridgeline FFT in 7 PRC, which would you choose and why?

The Christensen has a 2" shorter barrel, weighs over a pound less, and comes with a brake for 675 dollars less. I'm really leaning that direction for those reasons alone, but was wondering if the Proof has features I may be unaware of performance-wise that make up the cost difference? The gun will be the only "magnum" I own, and will 99.9% be used in the wide open sage and Juniper of Northwest Colorado for elk and mule deer.

Thanks!

I’ve had bad experiences with Christensen. I want to like them so badly. They look good and feel good. But I’d rather have a sum-moa $500 Ruger American than a 2.5-moa Christensen (even if it was free).

I’ve heard good things about the Proof and I haven’t heard an account where the my didn’t shoot well.

7 PRC is a great cartridge. Good luck with your new Proof.

>>>——JAKE——>

I've had both, sold the proof and regret it. Is it heavier? Yes. Is it more expensive? Yes. It shot lights out though and was just a really nice, well balanced package. I'm on the look out for another.

I would go with a proof all day. Too many horror stories with CA.

Or just save up a little more and build a custom.

My buddy had an CA fft ti in 7 prc and it had a ton of problems. He ended up fighting with CA for a refund after sending it back several times.

But some people have good luck with them.

I also prefer a controlled round action like the Zermatt arms origin. Controlled round actions IMO are the way to go. Even though I do own both