Pronghorn/Mulie combo hunt private land NE?

ghenson82

FNG
I have an opportunity to hunt pronghorn and mule deer on several sections of private land in Hooker & Cherry County Nebraska. I want to hunt with both tags in my pocket in case we crest a sandhill and there is a monster on the other side. However, velvet bucks just dont do it for me yet, I'd rather shoot one in hard antler. So, when do I hunt to have the best chance at arrowing a pronghorn and hard-horned mule deer in Nebraska?

Archery antelope opens August 20, archery deer opens September 1. Google says the pronghorn rut is mid September/early October. When are mule deer out of velvet? Thanks and Happy Hunting!

Most mule deer shed their velvet in the first 2 weeks of September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt both in the same area. Antelope will tend to be on the pivots. Generally if the ranch you are hunting doesn’t have pivots the antelope will be few and far between. A few sections seems like a lot, but it’s nothing if your searching for antelope in the wide open.

The deer will be starting to get hard horned early September. It’s pretty dang tough to bow hunt a mature deer in the Sandhills but guys do it and are successful every year. I always seem to see the best bucks in September when upland hunting.

If you’d like you can pm me more details where you’re planning to go and I can try and give some guidance if I know the area.

OP
ghenson82

ghenson82

FNG
A few sections seems like a lot, but it’s nothing if your searching for antelope in the wide open.
Ha! When I say "a few" I mean a lot! I went to a branding up there a few years ago and it was a LONG drive between pastures. They had 2 pivots that I know of and permission to hunt more. I'll send you a PM, I'll take all the advice I can get

Mule deer generally out of velvet by mid September. Both are possible with archery, but a challenge! If I wanted to be confident I’d get a shot both I’d plan for a month minimum, if pivots and patterned maybe less. Have fun!