Processing room countertop.

Tod osier

WKR
I'm looking for suggestions for a countertop for a new processing room. This project is a couple years off and the current space is a kitchen/kitchenette for our guest suite (sounds snobby, but it is what it is), I'd like to maintain that functionality for guests, but the primary use would be meat processing. I may move the wall or base cabinets around, put in a gas stove, may add more counter space (towards the photographer), but this is the basic space.

I'd like some material that I can install myself, I was thinking a solid surface material (think corian type). The easy button would be to have basic granite installed, but I'd prefer not. I'd like to keep price down and have a material that I can install myself to save money. No interest in stainless. Bonus points for a brand name and availability at Home Depot. 😊. I'd love suggestions of something else to use that fits my needs or a comment that a solid surface material fits the bill (I haven't used the stuff).

This is the new space.

DxZ4Qu7.jpg

This is what I have now at our current place. The wood is OK, the problems I have with it are that it has a seam (won't have a seam in anything again) and the wood needs special care. It also expands and contracts with the seasons and it is Ikea and there are some glue voids that I had to fix that piss me off. I'd do wood again, if I could get real long lengths and good quality. This countertop is also extra deep, which I like for breaking down quarters.

fK5nUrw.jpg

Last edited:

sram9102

WKR
HDPE cut to the size of your counters. I got my inlaws a big sheet for their fish cleaning station. It gets scratched up like a plastic cutting board will but you can get a big sheet for a reasonable price. This place will ship a 2'x8" to you door for a little over $200

HDPE Sheet

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
HDPE cut to the size of your counters. I got my inlaws a big sheet for their fish cleaning station. It gets scratched up like a plastic cutting board will but you can get a big sheet for a reasonable price. This place will ship a 2'x8" to you door for a little over $200

HDPE Sheet

I like that idea, that is along the vein I was thinking. I probably wouldn't cut directly on it, so it would stay pretty nice. Price is right too. I suppose I could do laminate, but I'd rather not.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
Put a big plastic table down the middle and cut directly on the table. Then use the countertops for processing equipment and "clean" space

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
First of all, the place looks amazing, man. Second, I think using the HDPE is a great idea and it’s also cost-effective too as compared to other options with almost the same properties.

I cut half an elk per night. This year that came to three nights. Hence not worth a major change.

My wife bought a new dining room table. I put down a wool army blanket over the table to protect it. Then I covered that with 3/4" plywood. My quarters come in covered with sheets. Once they thaw, I bone the meat and place the muscle groups on wood or plastic cutting boards. My wife trims and wraps on plastic cutting boards. Once we get done everything gets cleaned up and we get on with life.

Just a thought!

Laramie

WKR
I went with white laminate counter tops in my processing area. They were cheap, are easy to clean, and so far have lasted 6 years with zero signs of wear. My processing counter is about 1' higher which saves the lower back during deboning. I'm 6'2 so standard counter tops are just too low to work at for hours.

rayporter

WKR
my pard redone his kitchen and we saved the old counter top. put folding banquet table legs on it and store it till needed. it has a hole where the sink was and a bucket under there catches scraps. it is long enough for two to work. i think it is going on 19 years old. we dont worry about knife cuts on it but there is mighty few.

the hdpe is pretty handy too. i have a stainless top just barely big enough for one to work on that i put the poly on to save blades. it works well.

My garage processing area is a 6' commercial stainless steel table with backsplash and casters for mobility. I know you said you don't want stainless steel, but I find it to be the easiest surface to clean and sanitize. When I am cutting, I have a large Boos cutting board that I place on top of there. I wish I had a sink with my setup like you obviously will have.