problems with rucking

zog

Lil-Rokslider
You should have at least 80% of the entire weight on the iliac crest of your hips. There is no significant weight on your shoulders if done properly. I put the pack on my back (shoulder straps super loose), sliding it up so the hipbelt centerline is slightly ABOVE top of the iliac crest of each hip, then tighten the heck out of the hip belt. As I stand up, the ENTIRE pack weight is resting on my hips - the shoulders straps are not even touching my shoulders. I then snug the shoulder straps down to just resting on the shoulders (probably only 2-3 lbs of force on each shoulder). Then tighten the sternum strap and other load stabilizer straps. Don't feel bad, I didn't know the proper way to wear a pack for my first 50+ years..............it was a complete game changer. Short story is there is very little spinal load if the pack fits you properly and you wear it properly.
Exactly - them shoulder straps should just be pulling the load forward tight to your back, using the lifter straps to snug the pack forward and pull the shoulder harness up off the shoulders. Almost like you don't need the shoulder straps at all, except to keep the pack from falling backward. Your shoulders should have almost zero downward load.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
after my first trip to alaska it was the tussocks that killed me! How could anyone even train for that!
I had to look it up . . . .

tus-sock: a compact tuft especially of grass or sedge
also : an area of raised solid ground in a marsh or bog that is bound together by roots of low vegetation

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
The only time I go above 80# for ruck training is for intensity workouts. Typically I start with 50-60# and do 3 sets of 8 minutes with 2-3 minutes of rest between sets. Then 3x10 minutes next workout. Then 3x15 minutes next workout. I then add 10# and repeat the pattern. I adjust the load based on the previous workouts performance so at times I may increase the load before I complete the pattern. I also do the same pattern but do it with steps ups. I track my distance, HR and if doing step ups
I also track steps/elevation for each set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Doing two smaller hikes on back to back days will get you more ready than one big hike a week apart
I believe this makes sense. With the second day being a little heavier but not crazy heavy.

Thank about it this way: You hunt hard all day and kill at last shooting light. You bone out then walk out in the dark, maybe with the tenderloins but nothing else. You’re back the next day for a heavy pack out.

So I believe you need to be physically and mentally ready for two days in a row. A fun way to do this is a scouting hike (or trail run, if you like that) one day. Wear shorts and running shoes if you want. Follow this up with a rucking workout the next day and wear your hunting clothes and boots. Make it heavier, but not so heavy that it’s a back breaker.

A light aerobic session or two mid-week helps with general fitness and active recovery. Don’t get carried away with mileage, time, or intensity for this.