Private land/Landowner tag Trophy Elk hunt recommendations

schmalzy

WKR
Out of my element here and looking for some direction. Searched on Tapatalk but didn’t find a ton of answers (could just be the crappy search function so my apologies if this has been discussed in length) so putting it out there for some up to date responses.

My mentor and friend, early 60s, is looking to do his final bucket list hunt. Free range trophy (350+) elk. Rifle hunt. He’s fairly mobile and in reasonable shape but I’ll be going along with him to pack or handle any of the strenuous physical parts of it. He wants an adventure, but I don’t think a backpack hunt is in the cards for him. Nice wall tent or lodge would be more his speed.

He has the budget to get this done, and is hoping to do so without waiting on a various draws, hence the title. Hunt doesn’t have to be on private land, mostly just looking for a tag/opportunity he can pay for vs draw. Time is his biggest obstacle at the moment.

I know very little about Elk herds and trophy quality across the various states; that being said, he is open to just about any state, with a preference for NM or CO if available. 350+ is the goal.

Any recommendations or input appreciated. Lastly, if these parameters aren’t realistic please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great questions. My aunt called me a couple of weeks ago about me taking my uncle on a 65th birthday trip (she pays for) and I was thinking this is the best route. He's farmed his whole life and his body is destroyed. I'll be following along, thanks for asking the question.

Rocky723

FNG
Look into nevada lots of land tags and lots of people selling them off and tons of trophy bulls in certain units

Rocky723

FNG
Where do you find Nevada Landowner tags for sale?
Outfitters, ask fish and game, get in contact with ranchers and farmers. Many farmers will gladly let you hunt their land cause the elk out there tear up their fields

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Appreciate the feedback thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEC but most those ranches are booked 5 years in advance due to repeat customers.

Last edited: