Printing Weatherproof Maps

newbie101

FNG
Hello all, new guy to the forum here.

I'm looking to print custom weatherproof maps in larger sizes for the backcountry (working on the old map and compass land nav). I've generated the maps and information I want to print in Caltopo and have the correctly sized pdf saved. The problem is I can't seem to find a company or service that I can upload a pdf to and print it on weatherproof/waterproof paper. I know Caltopo has a partnership with The Mountyn Company and they can print weatherproof maps generated by Caltopo, but only 12inx18in. I'm looking to print maps on the scale of 24inx36in.

I've looked into mytopo, but I have to remake my maps using their mapping software and I can't use my maps that I already have (I have a lot of information I've customized to show on my Caltopo maps). They won't let me upload my own PDF.

I've looked into staples and UPS printing, but it doesn't look like I can get my map printed on synthetic paper. They can only print it on heavier weight paper and laminate it. I'm looking to get actual weatherproof paper and not have a limited map.

I found minuteman press when I was searching but I couldn't find specifically that they can print weatherproof paper. Has anyone used them before to print maps?

So just to wrap up where I'm at and what I'm looking for:

1. I have a PDF of the map I'm looking to print correctly sized for printing.
2. I want to be able to upload the PDF I have and get it printed on synthetic/weatherproof/waterproof paper (not laminated)
3. I want to print a map that is 24inx36in

Does anyone have any suggestions of a company or a work around I can use? Or does what I'm looking for not exist?

Thanks guys, looking forward to learn as a member of this forum.

I have used national geographic adventure paper and printed my own. You might need multiple pieces for what you are wanting to do.

OP
N

newbie101

FNG
Thank you for the response! I was worried that's what I was going to have to end up doing, I searched for quite a while and couldn't find an alternative

2muchhp

WKR
My son had some printed by a sign shop.
Printed them on vinal, very nice.

Last edited:

Mike 338

WKR
I'm sure you've considered this but I just got a weatherproof map case. I printed up a numerous maps (6 or 7) on typing paper and stuffed them all into the map case. I went with the map case because it's a hassle having maps printed as well as the expense. Truly waterproof maps are a bit unruly to handle and noisy. My paper maps are fine although they may get a bit wrinkled from rolling up the 11"x12" case and stuffing it in my shirt when navigating. No problem... I'll just print another if I need to but I haven't yet. I also throw into the case, a sharpie and a sample size hand sanitizer so I can plot my location on top of the case. A couple of drops of hand sanitizer and a bit of rubbing with my finger and any sharpie marks on the case are completely gone. The map case I got was from Amazon and cost less than 7 bucks plus shipping. The case was just a tiny smidgeon too small for the maps so I trim off 1/4" from the top and bottom of the paper and they slip in easily.

On the up side of printed maps, you'll probably have better definition. Try you local blueprint shop for water resistant or laminated. When I was figuring it all out, I had a full size USGS map printed at the blueprint shop. I think it was about 15 bucks or regular blueprint paper (non-waterproof). You'll have to email them a file and tell them what scale you want the map.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever used Rugged Maps?

Saw them at the outdoor show earlier this year. Looked kind of cool. Maps printed on a weatherproof ripstop type material.