Pretty good haul for Missouri's squirrel opener!

dhaverstick

Lil-Rokslider
C3eVMEn.jpg

XYW9hGl.jpg

FRA4niy.jpg

yUcW7Uy.jpg

XlIiAOl.jpeg

Despite the rain, wind, cicadas, and occasional tornado, Ole Betsy and I managed to get out a few times around the house and bring home a few bushytails. Sunday morning, after the early monsoon, I was able to get two. This morning, I only got one. The dense foliage combined with them never sitting still this time of year makes it hard for me to get a clear shot. This evening, though, the Hunting Gods smiled upon me. I stepped out on the porch after supper "to see a man about a horse" and heard one barking behind the house. So I ran back in, got my hunting stuff, and went after him. In ten minutes time, I had killed two, with most of that time spent reloading (I'm slow). I had to walk almost 50 yards from the house and then back! I am wore slick now, but it's a good kind of tired.

Darren

Loper

WKR
who makes that squirrel skinner? I’ve never seen one of those before

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
And for a lefty! Surprised you didn't shoot your eye out. Lol. Nice rifle too. What caliber you using? My favorite squirrel rifle is a TC .32 Cherokee.

OP
dhaverstick

dhaverstick

Lil-Rokslider
And for a lefty! Surprised you didn't shoot your eye out. Lol. Nice rifle too. What caliber you using? My favorite squirrel rifle is a TC .32 Cherokee.

I have a 32 caliber squirrel rifle, but I only use it in the fall and winter when either the squirrels are sitting still eating nuts or the leaves are off. No, if I want to bring home meat, I use my 12 gauge smoothbore. My squirrel load for Ole Betsy is 65 grains 3F, 1 over powder card, 1/4" lubed fiber wad, 1 1/4 oz. #6 shot, and 1 over shot card. The barrel is a cylinder bore so if I want to extend my range just a bit, I'll put the shot in a paper shot cup.

All my flinters, but one, were made for me by my good friend, John Pruitt. I have a pretty good deal worked out with him. I pick out all the parts I want to use and have them shipped to him in Spring City, TN. He whittles out a stock and puts everything together and, in about a month or so, ships me a working smokepole in southwest MO. I think the last one cost me 3 dozen homemade cookies, plus the price of the parts.

Darren

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
That is a sweet deal you have going! I haven't gotten the long rifle bug yet nor the urge for a smooth bore but admire anyone that hunts well with them.