Press Options

…My next press will be the Area 419 Zero. Pricey, but I love using quality tools. Hope to add one to my bench within the next 30 days.

I imagine using a quality press would be similar to shooting a fine rifle or shotgun.

I’ve been saving my pennies for a Zero press, but Short Action Custom’s new Nexus press has me intrigued.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Finally convinced myself that life is to short and ordered the Zero press today.
We only go around once so why not enjoy the finer things in life.

Torque

FNG
If you go with the Co-Ax, do NOT buy the curved linkages. They do not have a solid stop and are not as precise in their sizing as the straight linkages.

If you want to spend a little more cash the Short Action Custom press they just announced looks very, very nice. It combines the quick change die method of the Co-Ax with solid stops built into the press stroke. I will be buying one of these, for sure.

OP
K

Ktirao

FNG
Thanks for all the info! No idea what I’ll get but I will definitely take all these things into consideration.

ljalberta

WKR
If you go with the Co-Ax, do NOT buy the curved linkages. They do not have a solid stop and are not as precise in their sizing as the straight linkages.

If you want to spend a little more cash the Short Action Custom press they just announced looks very, very nice. It combines the quick change die method of the Co-Ax with solid stops built into the press stroke. I will be buying one of these, for sure.
I was considering upgrading to a Zero, but I think the SAC unit looks like a fantastic unit with reliable quick change and at a better price point.

Unckebob

WKR
For a single stage I like the forester co-ax, I am considering going to a Dillon 550 for some of my larger volume rounds.
So as I upgrade my hand me downs to newer equipment I think a press might be next. I am currently using a RCBS Rs press. I’ve never used anything else so I have no idea if it’s crap or if it’s just fine in comparison to other single stage presses out there.

Thoughts on if I should upgrade and if yes, what are good options?

@SamsonMan22

It loaded good ammo, but I didn't like reaching up for the handle on my Co-Ax and sold it. I ended up with a RCBS Rebel which works great; however, I would probably get a MEC Marksman if I needed another single stage. It has an open front that I think I would like.

Moral of my post: ergonomics will eventually be a factor in whether you like a press (nobody seems to make really crappy ones). Since everyone is different , you have to decide what ergonomics fit your reloading style.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
@SamsonMan22

It loaded good ammo, but I didn't like reaching up for the handle on my Co-Ax and sold it. I ended up with a RCBS Rebel which works great; however, I would probably get a MEC Marksman if I needed another single stage. It has an open front that I think I would like.

Moral of my post: ergonomics will eventually be a factor in whether you like a press (nobody seems to make really crappy ones). Since everyone is different , you have to decide what ergonomics fit your reloading style.
I think a lot of it has to do with how you set it up. I prefer the handle up high because my legs don’t get in the way of running it sitting in a chair.

There are other benefits to the press besides the open front. I think at this point if I was going to buy something other than the co-ax it would be the SAC nexus. I just have a hard time forking over the money when the co-ax does everything I need it to do.

eoperator

WKR
I think at this point if I was going to buy something other than the co-ax it would be the SAC nexus. I just have a hard time forking over the money when the co-ax does everything I need it to do.
I love sac products and would like update my coax to a nexus press also but I am not sure if it is worth the pita reseting all of my dies.

rayporter

WKR
RC39xRC.jpg

6P4MD3n.jpg

hornady and rcbs not in pics.
if possible dont try to do it all with one press