Preffered carbon barrels.

LTff247

FNG
Has anyone use Preferred Barrel Blanks carbon fiber barrel? How's there quality and accuracy compared to Carbon six barrels?

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
Have a friend who just built a rifle with a Preferred Barrel Blanks carbon. I also just had a Tikka rebarreled with a CarbonSix. Neither of us have had a chance to shoot them yet, but I will report back.

Initial impressions:
CarbonSix’s carbon wrap and finishing is noticeably more refined than Preferred. Metal machining on both is excellent. CarbonSix prefits don’t come with any engraving to denote chambering or twist.

My friend went with Preferred because they offer a long list of shouldered prefits and he wanted one for an ARC action. However, I have seen it mentioned in a forum reply by CarbonSix themselves that they are willing to cut prefits for more actions than they have listed, but you have to call to discuss and order. They have intentionally limited their list.

OP
L

LTff247

FNG
Have a friend who just built a rifle with a Preferred Barrel Blanks carbon. I also just had a Tikka rebarreled with a CarbonSix. Neither of us have had a chance to shoot them yet, but I will report back.

Initial impressions:
CarbonSix’s carbon wrap and finishing is noticeably more refined than Preferred. Metal machining on both is excellent. CarbonSix prefits don’t come with any engraving to denote chambering or twist.

My friend went with Preferred because they offer a long list of shouldered prefits and he wanted one for an ARC action. However, I have seen it mentioned in a forum reply by CarbonSix themselves that they are willing to cut prefits for more actions than they have listed, but you have to call to discuss and order. They have intentionally limited their list.
If you could please post your results that would be awesome of you.

sndmn11

"DADDY"

Initial impressions:

I would love to see pictures of both to understand what you mean by refined finish? I am also curious if one seems harder than the other and how/if you guys protected them when in the barrel vise.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
I have over 500 rounds through my CarbonSix barrel, it shoots great. My friend has a few hundred rounds through his Preferred Barrels carbon barrel and it also shoots great. When we installed ours, we used a piece of drywall tape to line the barrel vise bushings, which worked well and we have never had that method marr a barrel finish, carbon or otherwise.

The carbon wrap in general is extremely durable and there’s no need to be worried or baby it in the field.

As far as level of finish or “prettiness” between the two brands: I have seen a few more examples of Preferred’s carbon barrels now, they are consistently good and on par with CarbonSix. If you’re looking for a button-rifled, carbon-wrapped, custom prefit, either brand is good to go in my opinion.