Preference points ?

tom338

FNG
I put in with my son this year and didn't draw. I had 2 preference points and he had 1. My son wants to put in for Wyoming next year because we know we will draw. But I don't want to loose my preference points in Montana. Anybody have any insight as to how many preference points it took to get a 100% draw tag--general?? Next year we would both put in and have a 2.5 preference point average. Think that will get us a general tag?? Points are for Montana

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I put in with my son this year and didn't draw. I had 2 preference points and he had 1. My son wants to put in for Wyoming next year because we know we will draw. But I don't want to loose my preference points in Montana. Anybody have any insight as to how many preference points it took to get a 100% draw tag--general?? Next year we would both put in and have a 2.5 preference point average. Think that will get us a general tag??
In Montana, yes, 2.5 points will draw a general tag.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Smfigari

FNG
I put in with my son this year and didn't draw. I had 2 preference points and he had 1. My son wants to put in for Wyoming next year because we know we will draw. But I don't want to loose my preference points in Montana. Anybody have any insight as to how many preference points it took to get a 100% draw tag--general?? Next year we would both put in and have a 2.5 preference point average. Think that will get us a general tag??
I know in the Montana bonus point system you can opt to buy a point so that you don’t lose your current points and can continue accruing points. Might be the same with their preference point system, but I’m not sure.

bsnedeker

WKR
I know in the Montana bonus point system you can opt to buy a point so that you don’t lose your current points and can continue accruing points. Might be the same with their preference point system, but I’m not sure.
It's not. You need to apply every year in Montana or you lose your points. It is new as of this year.

Smfigari

FNG
It's not. You need to apply every year in Montana or you lose your points. It is new as of this year.

That makes sense. I’ve only ever bought bonus points, so I just wait for the points only application.

fatlander

WKR
In Montana, yes, 2.5 points will draw a general tag.

Are you sure about that?

Montana hasn’t posted the draw odds from this year.

Last year there were 15k people that didn’t draw with 1 point. Which means there were at least 15k people with two points going in for 12,750 tags. That’s not even accounting the people that just had 2+ points but didn’t apply the year (‘21) before. There were many people with 2 points that posted here who didn’t draw this year. Point creep doing what point creep does would lead one to believe that 2.5 won’t be guaranteed in 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smfigari

FNG

Alright, I did some research today and everything I have read says that as of 2022, you only need to apply every other in order to maintain your preference points.

bsnedeker

WKR
Alright, I did some research today and everything I have read says that as of 2022, you only need to apply every other in order to maintain your preference points.
that's a whole can of worms my friend! When they were talking about it during the FWP meetings last year that was what they proposed, but then they wrote the actual statute in the worst possible way that you can imagine leading to a bunch of confusion.

If you call up FWP they will tell you that you must apply every year or you lose your PP's, and that is how they enforced it this year from everyone I have heard from. If you didn't apply in 2022 you lost your points.

bsnedeker

WKR
Are you sure about that?

Montana hasn’t posted the draw odds from this year.

Last year there were 15k people that didn’t draw with 1 point. Which means there were at least 15k people with two points going in for 12,750 tags. That’s not even accounting the people that just had 2+ points but didn’t apply the year (‘21) before. There were many people with 2 points that posted here who didn’t draw this year. Point creep doing what point creep does would lead one to believe that 2.5 won’t be guaranteed in 2023.

3 points was guaranteed this year and I believe MT rounds UP on PP's so 2.5 would be the same as 3 (which is also the max you are allowed to have), but I could be wrong about that.

Point well taken though, nothing is ever promised where point creep is concerned.

Smfigari

FNG
that's a whole can of worms my friend! When they were talking about it during the FWP meetings last year that was what they proposed, but then they wrote the actual statute in the worst possible way that you can imagine leading to a bunch of confusion.

If you call up FWP they will tell you that you must apply every year or you lose your PP's, and that is how they enforced it this year from everyone I have heard from. If you didn't apply in 2022 you lost your points.

Well, I appreciate you taking the time to educate me on it. Seems like a rather odd way of addressing point creep, but I am sure it will be effective.

fatlander

WKR
3 points was guaranteed this year and I believe MT rounds UP on PP's so 2.5 would be the same as 3 (which is also the max you are allowed to have), but I could be wrong about that.

Point well taken though, nothing is ever promised where point creep is concerned.

They don’t round preference points. They take it to the fraction.

They round bonus points.

Someone dug up the actual regs on it a few years ago. I remember the thread.

Here’s a go hunt link that explains it.

Bottom line, 2.5 preference points does not equal 3.

OP
T

tom338

FNG
In your link above it says---As of 2022, preference points are now $100 each and applicants must apply every other year or the state will zero any accumulated preference points. No one may hold more than 3 preference points.

If that's true then I'm in good shape for next year. But I'm waiting for a e mail reply from the state. If they ever reply

fatlander

WKR
In your link above it says---As of 2022, preference points are now $100 each and applicants must apply every other year or the state will zero any accumulated preference points. No one may hold more than 3 preference points.

If that's true then I'm in good shape for next year. But I'm waiting for a e mail reply from the state. If they ever reply

FWP has been quoted by multiple people saying you must apply every year. Not every other year.

Who knows.

As far as averaging points goes, it is a fact that they don’t round preference points.

pirogue

WKR
Well, I appreciate you taking the time to educate me on it. Seems like a rather odd way of addressing point creep, but I am sure it will be effective.
You really think you’ve been educated? Seems like every post is contradictory to the one prior.