Predator scent to move elk out of impenetrable spots (coastal elk)? Thoughts

Ok there are some incredibly deep canyons with reprod that for all practical purposes impossible to get into. I cut a trail down and crossed the canyon on a log, (thinking I would be about 10ft off bottom, it was more like 30-40ft) then realized it would be way to dangerous to try and pack elk out of there.

So my thought is to hang some predator scent in a spot that morning and evening thermals will drift that scent down into this canyon and I do know where the elk will go next and it's at least doable for hunting them in all three areas they might choose to go. I am thinking if the elk leave a 500yd radius area that would be perfectly fine.

Tmac

WKR
Interesting idea. If you spook them they may go 500 yards or maybe into the next county, hard to say. I’m not as familiar with Roosie’s predator avoidance behavior as I am with some others. I’d be looking for where they come out of the jungle to feed, try to catch one there, before I risked spooking them. The predator scent may be a good last few days Hail Mary play.

OP
K
It is impractical for them to go very far per say. It is rumored that Roosevelt elk spend most of their lives in a relatively small area when compared to Rocky mtn elk, but it might be wise to save this for a hail mary for the last couple days of the hunt.

Marble

WKR
If the elk can get in there, then so can I. They aren't crossing a log..

Got to be a better way.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
K
Well mostly useless post but certainly accurate they are not crossing a log. The terrain drops of steep enough to be hand over fist in some areas and they are side hilling close to the water body that has been created, once they swam across the body of water. I could get down there but packing an elk out....well maybe in my 20's but no longer. Three of us spent a weekend trying to cut a trail down and only made it half way. Since I know their pattern it just seems to make more sense to bump them out of there with scent as either direction puts them into more huntable area the below location being one of them. My daughter and I have both done pack outs on our back twice now. This was the easier one. In six years I have not figured out how to get down there without the elk knowing it seems.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240704-212434_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240704-212434_Gallery.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20240704-212400_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240704-212400_Gallery.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 72
I do everything in my power to NOT spook the elk at any cost. I’d try calling the bull out first thing. If you know their pattern can’t you just set up along one of their travel routes? When I find elk in spots like this I just hang out on the fringes in an area dictated by wind and their most likely route if calling doesn’t get the job done, which only works a few days out of the year in my experience with roosies.

Jaquomo

WKR
We tried this once with hanging dirty, sweaty tshirts. Had no effect, because as we later learned, it is the gas produced by billions of bacteria on the outside of our skin that spooks animals. That, and our breath.

Not sure why predator scent would have any effect. If so, elk would run themselves to death.

OP
K
We tried this once with hanging dirty, sweaty tshirts. Had no effect, because as we later learned, it is the gas produced by billions of bacteria on the outside of our skin that spooks animals. That, and our breath.

Not sure why predator scent would have any effect. If so, elk would run themselves to death.
This is interesting information, I have always felt our breath is what gives us away most often. It does beg the question then why do we think estrus scent would pull elk in, certainly if they can tell the difference in predator smell they can tell the difference between fake and real estrus? It would seem with reports of wolves causing elk to completely leave an area they do in fact move away from apex predators. I know for certain having run cameras in the same areas for six years now that predators are far and few between. One interesting trail cam pictures was an elk and coyote in the same picture and the elk could have cared less about the coyote.

Marble

WKR
Without knowing the terrain and what the wind does, it's hard to say. I definitely wouldn't spook them out. There has got to be another solution.

A light raft comes to mind. But idk...

Elk do like to swim and cool off. Seen it before.

Maybe try getting in the evening before on the back side of the hill, plus some type of land obstruction

Marble

WKR
Well mostly useless post but certainly accurate they are not crossing a log. The terrain drops of steep enough to be hand over fist in some areas and they are side hilling close to the water body that has been created, once they swam across the body of water. I could get down there but packing an elk out....well maybe in my 20's but no longer. Three of us spent a weekend trying to cut a trail down and only made it half way. Since I know their pattern it just seems to make more sense to bump them out of there with scent as either direction puts them into more huntable area the below location being one of them. My daughter and I have both done pack outs on our back twice now. This was the easier one. In six years I have not figured out how to get down there without the elk knowing it seems.
And I wouldn't characterize it as useless. It's to get to the point that there are other ways in.

Spooking them out is ridiculous. I've seen elk go miles when ran out, never to be found on my hunt again.