precision reloading... What press and dies do you use?

Not to jump your conversation about a melonited barrel, but I have a 6.8 AR barrel that is both Melonited and nonmelonited. Both have about the same round count, an are from the same maker. The Melonited barrel is around 30 fps faster than other, shows less wear than the other, and both are about the same for accuracy. I would have Melonited my 300 mag barrel, but most people that did the process didn't want to take a custom barrel. They said the heating process might warp the barrel. The one place I found that would do it, all were shooters, told me I need to have the barrel fully finished and to have the barrel broke in before the process. That right there was the stopper. My gunsmith is in PA and didn't want to pay the cost for shipping again, and to have the barrel disassembled, and then RE assembled. The biggest advantage I have found from Meloniting is barrel/throat life, and no rust.

Hope this helps

Shrek

WKR
When I get it back from the gunsmith I'll do ten shoot once clean once and then have the whole rifle done. I've seen pictures of bead blasted stainless steel done and it looks really good to me. I'm giving it a try.

OP
Eric S

Eric S

FNG
Thank you guys for all the input. I am building my reloading room from the ground up. What you see in the picture is all I have at the moment. I think I will be ordering the T7 press this weekend. If any of you have a list of the equipment you own. I would love to see it. I would like to buy everything I need in one shot so im done and don't need to go upgrade in 2 months after I learn some more. Again thank you guys for the help I am starting from scratch and will be relying on RS to teach me.

littlebuf

Banned
im not real far from you. just up orville a little. if you wanted some help id be happy to show you my set up some time

Attachments

• index1.jpg
    index1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 87

Broz

WKR
List of things I do not want to be without in my loading room.

T-7 Press and a spare head
RCBS case prep station to uniform primer pockets and chamfer case mouths
RCBS Chargemaster combo (just seen these on sale for $299 someplace) ?? Midway?
STM stainless tumbling media case cleaner it is the end all to clean brass in and out even the primer pockets
Digital calipers with hornaday case comparator kit and also head space kit
A few good powder funnels and a frankford arsenal 5" drop tube funnel
Bench source annealing machine
frankford arsenal blue plastic loading blocks
Imperial dry case lube ( graphite type for necks)
Redding Competition bushing 3 die sets for every caliber I do precision loading for, plus the Redding competition shell holder sets to match
I have 3 case trimmers... I always go back to the RCBS as I find it faster to get cases in and out. I just seen they now offer a power case trimmer that has the case prep station built in. $350.... I can see one of these in my future.

Hope this helps
Jeff

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
After reading this thread, I'm kind of glad that most of my shooting is with a bow these days.:D

Makes me wonder how on earth any of my reloads go BANG, hit the target, and actually eject. I guess if I was a serious precision LR shooter I'd be more precise and have all the measuring tools, etc. I do have a load for my 7mag with 160gr Barnes MRX bullets that has shot 1" groups at 400 yards.......guess I got lucky with that one.

OP
Eric S

Eric S

FNG
Catalog ordered
Jeff, that helps alot. Thank you.
Littlebuf, I would like to take you up on that offer. Ill shoot you a PM.

murf45

WKR
Rcbs digital scale and rockchucker magnum press. I also use the redding competition dies for all guns I reload for. Make sure you get the best brass available, and I've noticed you don't need to worry about prepping the brass because in most cases it's very consistent.

OP
Eric S

Eric S

FNG
I ordered norma brass... I gauged the quality by the price. Does anybody have an opinion on Norma brass. So far 5 out of 500 cases are unusable.

Broz

WKR
Quality is good but it is some of the softest you will find. Stay away from max psi to keep primer pockets tight.

Jeff

Shrek

WKR
5 cases unusable how ? Can't be used for foulers ? Buy some Winchester brass and then tell me how you feel about 5 for 500 out of spec !

bobhunts

WKR
Shrek you nailed it! Those are pretty good odds! Winchester and Remington are like 10% rejects out of the bag! Just what I have seen here. Had some good ones from Hornady but then again if you load a .375 Ruger brass is scarce as well as a .300 Weatherby. Got some decent brass for the bee from Nosler at a price. Bob.