Powering a chest freezer at a motel

JDPAPA

FNG
If you are going to take an extension cord, you should consider how far the potential run could be. At the very least use a #12 extension cord just to make sure you are covered. Also make sure the freezer is full with salted water combination jugs to give you some insurance.

Sounds like you already got the answers you needed. I agree just take some extension cords and plug it in.

I definitely would not install any new wiring to run a freezer unless it’s done by the dealer/manufacturer. Just speaking for someone who had their truck burn to the ground in their driveway after running wires from the battery to power something.

JDPAPA

FNG
Typically, a factory installed inverter on your truck is not going to have anywhere near the load capacity needed for your freezer. Please do not attempt it.
My buddy that goes west every year for elk uses a hitch haul with a generator chained to it. This gives some extra storage space and he can stop and run the unit intermittently as well.

yfarm

WKR
Just buy dry ice, put in the bottom of your freezer, I drive 2 days in high temps on one of those days, elk quarters go in cool and frozen when I reach my destination. Call Airgas distributors on your route and ask where their Penguin dealers are, generally grocery and drug stores. Call them as you travel and verify they have inventory. I generally buy 40 lbs at origin, 20 in each and have 1/3-1/2 at destination. Have done the motel extension cord thing, works also. Freezer as a cooler is far better due to the insulation and seal quality. Speaking as a Yeti/ Frigid Rigid owner. Or buy a Harbor Freight gen and run it while you drive, the meat will remain frozen overnight with the gen off.

Psalmon

FNG
Most inverters will fit nicely under a seat of your rig. Another option might to be just to get some dry ice from the grocery store. We do that here with fish.

06 SB

Lil-Rokslider
I fish more than I hunt and my boat needs the trolling motor batteries charged all the time. Book your hotels and ask if they have outside outlets, if not, find a different hotel. Many have outlets on the light posts in the parking lot. Charging is never an issue unless you run the extension cord across a walkway. The meat will stay nice and cold. The other suggestion is the use of dry ice in the freezer. It is available way more than you think. A lot of grocery stores and Walmarts have it. It evaporates vice melts and will freeze the meat if not already frozen. It does not take too many pounds. When I drive to GA after an elk hunt in CO or AZ, I normally just use dry ice but it is nice to have a power outlet at the hotels for insurance.