Powerful Reggie Jackson interview

Beendare

WKR
In case you missed it...in the ceremony honoring Willie Mays they asked Reggie what it was like playing in the 1960's and coming into the league- its hard to imagine now...but the 1960's South was a different world for Blacks.

3 minute commentary, worth the watch, YouTube link,

HOFer Reggie Jackson Talks About The Racism He Experienced In Birmingham​

The young guys here may not know but Reggie was one of the all time greats.

I was blessed to have my buddy Pete's dad take us to see Willie Mays play at Candlestick Park.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I was vintage watch shopping in Carmel by the Sea. After I said what I was looking for an older man said "you have good taste, come look at what I've got here". He had brought in a couple vintage Daytona 6263's including an all gold model.

I introduced myself. He said "I'm Reggie Jackson, pleased to meet you, not a lot of you young guys are looking for these vintage pieces" We chatted for a second and he mentioned playing baseball a long time ago. He asked about my son and my life. He was a real cool dude.

I got home and searched who he was. Turns out he was pretty damn good at baseball, and a really nice guy when I bumped into him.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was vintage watch shopping in Carmel by the Sea. After I said what I was looking for an older man said "you have good taste, come look at what I've got here". He had brought in a couple vintage Daytona 6263's including an all gold model.
I lived in Monterey back in the 90's. I used to see him around town pretty frequently. I saw some of the interview and didn't even recognize him as Reggie.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
In case you missed it...in the ceremony honoring Willie Mays they asked Reggie what it was like playing in the 1960's and coming into the league- its hard to imagine now...but the 1960's South was a different world for Blacks.

3 minute commentary, worth the watch, YouTube link,

HOFer Reggie Jackson Talks About The Racism He Experienced In Birmingham​

The young guys here may not know but Reggie was one of the all time greats.

I was blessed to have my buddy Pete's dad take us to see Willie Mays play at Candlestick Park.
Thanks for posting! Used to love watching him play when I was a kid. Crazy to think of what he saw and dealt with in the 60's.

I was born and raised in Michigan. We had one black student in my 1000 student high school. I always thought racism was a one sided problem until I move to Mississippi in 2006. After being there 15 years before moving home, I learned that while things have improved greatly, racism is still alive and well - and it's a two sided issue. I saw racism from white folks regularly - often very subtle. I EXPERIENCED subtle racism from black folks regularly while I was there. I left Mississippi with a different perspective on racism then when I showed up. I enjoyed being in Mississippi and made both black and white friends. It's a complex issue I wish didn't exist.

ODB

WKR
Thanks for posting! Used to love watching him play when I was a kid. Crazy to think of what he saw and dealt with in the 60's.

I was born and raised in Michigan. We had one black student in my 1000 student high school. I always thought racism was a one sided problem until I move to Mississippi in 2006. After being there 15 years before moving home, I learned that while things have improved greatly, racism is still alive and well - and it's a two sided issue. I saw racism from white folks regularly - often very subtle. I EXPERIENCED subtle racism from black folks regularly while I was there. I left Mississippi with a different perspective on racism then when I showed up. I enjoyed being in Mississippi and made both black and white friends. It's a complex issue I wish didn't exist.

This is it. The American South is one of the most culturally complex areas on earth - bar none. Just when you think you understand it, something happens and resets your opinions entirely. Anyone who defaults to the obvious or reductive perspectives will never fully understand it and no one who has never lived there can even begin to understand. It’s not something you can know from only reading books. I grew up in VA and there were “wrong sides of the tracks” for blacks AND whites. But that’s only one example - there are plenty of others.

Two books I always recommend are: The Autobiography of Malcolm X, and Up From Slavery from Booker T Washington. They should be mandatory reading for kids everywhere. Leave all the Robin DeAngelo, TaNahisi Coats and Ibrahim X Kende grifter bullshit in the trash bin.

3855WIN

FNG
Reggie and Benjamin Netanyahu attended the same high school and overlapped there, though not the same graduation class.