Powerbelt bullets experience

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
Never again using powerbelts. I had a similar experience on an elk. I was able to recover it but it took hours and multiple shots to put it down.

SloppyJ

WKR
I will not use Powerbelts anymore. Two seasons ago my buddy and myself picked up a pack to test out. We got our loads dialed in and went to his property for opening weekend whitetail for some doe patrol. We each shot twice that weekend. The first two we thought we just clean missed. Went back to camp after looking for blood for hours and checked our rifles, they were both still on.

We only found one deer that whole weekend. It was a really bad deal and I still think about it every time I see a pack of powerbelts. We found a deer the next day. It ran 150yds, double lunged, and there was absolutely ZERO blood. There was only a small trickle when we found her where she was laying. They seemed to pencil right through.

I tried some Hornady FTX this year and had a little better luck but a very similar experience. Found that deer though. I'm still on the hunt for a good muzzleloader bullet that actually has good terminal performance. I'm going to try some Barnes this year unless I find something better.

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
CVA Acura V2. 50 cal. 338 platinum. BH209 120g by volume.

Mature 7x7 bull, 150 yds. 1st shot liver lung, no exit. 2nd shot took out the left ventricle, exited and broke the offside leg.

Mature 7x8 bull. 40-50yds. Same bullet and powder. Lung shot. No exit, no blood. Went 20 and tipped over dead.

Only recovered shrapnel.

Be nice to find a bullet that mushroomed and stayed together

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to Parker ballistic extremes a few years ago. This is from a cow elk last season at 170 yards.

Attachments

• 39AF254F-20F7-45B9-A4C8-3A6B2092C890.jpeg
    39AF254F-20F7-45B9-A4C8-3A6B2092C890.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 7

jjwise97

FNG
I switched to Parker ballistic extremes a few years ago. This is from a cow elk last season at 170 yards.
Are your shooting these out of a “traditional” inline muzzleloader, or something like a Remington UML with a heavy powder charge? I’ve heard good reviews about the BEs but seems like most folks who use them are shooting them pretty fast

Lando

WKR
Every mule deer (approximately 10) I have shot with a Hornady 240 gr. XTP has either dropped instantly or gone a maximum of 10-15 yards. I haven't shot an elk with them though, so can't speak to that.

I have heard the same stories about powerbelts from friends, which is why I have never used them. Luckily, I can use sabots where I hunt.

Last edited:

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
Are your shooting these out of a “traditional” inline muzzleloader, or something like a Remington UML with a heavy powder charge? I’ve heard good reviews about the BEs but seems like most folks who use them are shooting them pretty fast
I’m shooting the CVA LR-X with 86 grains of black horn 209.

Stalker69

WKR
Wow, we have been shooting percussion and flintlocks for years and years with round balls to full bore size lead bullets and don't have nearly the issues you guys have.

Wow, we have been shooting percussion and flintlocks for years and years with round balls to full bore size lead bullets and don't have nearly the issues you guys have.

concur. the full lead projectiles at blackpowder velocities seem to work better than the higher energy blackpowder substitutes with the currently available muzzleloader projectiles. but the range/accuracy I can get with BH209 and a 209 cap on a scoped rifle blows away what I can do with a flintlock, even with peep sights.

Stalker69

WKR
Yes, but a scoped in line muzzle loader is not my idea of muzzle loader hunting. If I want to shoot something " long range" I will use a high power rifle, much more efficient. Getting close, is the name of the game.

Stalker69

WKR
Yes, but a scoped in line muzzle loader is not my idea of muzzle loader hunting. If I want to shoot something " long range" I will use a high power rifle, much more efficient. Getting close, is the name of the game if you ask me. Other wise I wouldn't hunt with a muzzle loader.

all depends on where you live. In my home units, our "rifle" season is only open for slug guns and inlines. We have a separate late flintlock season.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
To be fair, the green belted hollow points are designed to fragment, so they're performing as they should. However, I don't like the performances I've seen from any of the Powerbelts I've shot. The green fragment and didn't show a lot of damage past impact, the tipped Aerolites and Platinums seem to penetrate but not really upset or cause any collateral damage.

I've had great luck with the 250gr Hornady SST. I'm shooting 150gr of Pyrodex black powder, and every buck and bull I've shot I've found the bullets under the hide on the opposing side, which is perfect in my opinion. I don't care about blood trails because everything I've hit where I intended with those bullets died within 100 yards of where it was initially hit. These 2 were recovered from a bull elk shot at 130 yards slightly quartering, they have pretty good weight retention but the important part is the jacket fragmented causing immense internal damage, and the slug drove all the way through. As you can see a bit of rib bone stuck to the core of 1.
20191003_212720.jpg

nebhunt

WKR
I have been told that the 338 platinum is supposed to hold together much better. Has anyone done any testing. I plan on doing some this summer with the platinum and the Hornady bore driver. If those two don't shoot well and hold together I will just use the Maxi ball 370gr

Stalker69

WKR
Traditional and inline don't go together.

jjwise97

FNG
Traditional and inline don't go together.
Yes that’s why I put the quotations. But anymore, you could argue otherwise if you wanted to with advancements like the CVA Paramount or Smokeless Muzzleloaders that can push your projectiles much faster than a common load of 100gr 777

I have been told that the 338 platinum is supposed to hold together much better. Has anyone done any testing. I plan on doing some this summer with the platinum and the Hornady bore driver. If those two don't shoot well and hold together I will just use the Maxi ball 370gr

i've shot a lot of deer with maxiballs and blackpowder. Inside 100 yards, I'd say they perform better than what i've seen from powerbelts or thor over BH209. Complete penetration is the norm, with a large permanent wound. If you're using a more energetic black powder susbstitute I could see penetration suffering, especially if it's a softer lead composition.

maxihunters, and the hornady great plains, which had a rounder/flatter hollowpoint were even better on deer, but have disappeared from the market.

nebhunt

WKR
I have had success with the 370gr maxi ball on Colorado elk using my T/C Hawken. I plan to use my Hawken again but this time I have a green mountain barrel on it and thought I would try a couple different bullets that might shoot a little flatter. Such as the Hornady and Powerbelt Platinum. I have several of the 320 gr maxi ball and the 350gr maxi hunter. It would be nice to not have to deal with the bullet lube.