Port Strike

maxx075

WKR
I don't know many people making a 100k as it is.

All I know is don't get in the medical field. I've got 4 years of college (nursing) and might make $65,000. And I'm cool with that. Single, one grown kid and no wife. I'm good where I'm at money wise.

But, I see the real money is in unloading metal boxes full of Chinese junk.

GFs son graduated a heavy equipment program and got a union job maybe 6 months ago making $44.00 hour. Hes making maybe 10 more hour than me with almost 20 years on the job (nursing).
Knowing him, he will **** that up as he's already convinced hes not making enough.

Seriously, anyone considering medical, your kids, wife, etc. Tell them to get a trades job. I have actually thought about quitting nursing and getting into the same program he was in. I can afford it if it doesn't work out, plus I can go back to nursing.
Depends where you're at as well. 65k in WV isn't terrible. I'd love to have the current salary I'm at now and move back to WV. Here in UT & FL it's not much.

You can re read so these posts and will will get the jist of this mindset. Yoder, MallardSX2, JustinNC, Jackofalltrades are just a few. They seem to overly concerned with what is precieved as being over paided for a skill set. and anti union for sure. I have heard these aruments for the last 48 years and it never changes. But like I stated above seems to be a growing anger to pay a employee a good wage . Maybe they feel slighted because they don't make as much as a union worker who knows. It really does not matter. I don't care what a CEO makes or the president of a company or a union president. It is about makeing a fair wage whatever that happens to be. I don't set those standards the economy does.

Think you are missing the over paid point. it’s the total comp demands and how they are not feasible. Example , Union strikers at BNSF demanded profit sharing (most would agree good employee incentive so that’s feasible), but unlimited call outs meaning the employee numbers would have to be +20% more employees to keep railroads going while accommodating the “I don’t feel like coming to work at last minute”, and 79% pay increase. So their demands were a 79% pay increase, profit sharing and unlimited no shows. First, the demands are counter to each other, but more then anything they are willing to affect everyone else for an infeasible request.

UAW isn’t talking about 700k Mexican made/assembled imported vehicles to the U.S. via the Mexico US automakers facilities or the 100k exported vehicles that have also been outsourced to Mexico because of their demands and the Democrat NAFTA accord. You want to shut down companies and then point fingers of jealousy when people accurately predict the long term outcome.

You get what you get in the unemployment line. Won’t be long before the fix immigration to all trades visa’s outside stem and when they do, I’m laughing because that’s what your when on strike for.

I don't have a problem with the longshoremen trying to get the best deal that they can, but the leverage they're applying is a bit distasteful. The "I will cripple you" comment should be enough to throw that dude out on his ass never to see the negotiating table. It would certainly not surprise me if the shipping co's were working at hyperspeed (behind the scenes) to get automation in place over the next couple of months so that they can tell the mob boss wannabe to pound sand at the next round of negotiations.

Should the doctor be allowed to negotiate his fee before he performs a potentially life saving/altering procedure?
Been there, done that. The victim of the result!

The inevitability! ILA workers will retire and/or die.

As the "gum scrapers" die out, their tasks will be passed to the "cup crushers". As is normal for "unions", the cup crushers will refuse to do gum scraper work.
All the company has to do is automate the process if other crafts refuse to pick up the slack.
Automation may not happen overnight, but you can bet your sweet bippy, that port WILL eventually be automated!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Been there, done that. The victim of the result!

The inevitability! ILA workers will retire and/or die.

As the "gum scrapers" die out, their tasks will be passed to the "cup crushers". As is normal for "unions", the cup crushers will refuse to do gum scraper work.
All the company has to do is automate the process if other crafts refuse to pick up the slack.
Automation may not happen overnight, but you can bet your sweet bippy, that port WILL eventually be automated!
Agee............It's the normal progression of the work force.

Nockdown

FNG
Automation is almost a necessity in a union shop so anything will get done at a reasonable pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
I’d rather spend billions assisting Ukraine than billions moving migrants into the United States providing them with Housing, healthcare schooling etc. but nothing should come before Americans.
They didn't do it to assist Ukraine. They did it to line their pockets. Kind of like Dick Cheney with Haliburton in Iraq. They are all in on it. Republicans do nothing while millions have come across the border. What would have happened if Governor Abbot would have closed the border with the National Guard? Do you think the federal government would have attacked Texas? They could be sad and file lawsuits. Who cares. Abbot just sends some people on busses to NYC and Chicago to get re-elected. I watched Mayors rule cities like dictators during covid but a Governor can't close the border? I don't believe it. Useless do-nothing Republicans make me want to puke. Democrats are at least honest about wanting to destroy America.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
They didn't do it to assist Ukraine. They did it to line their pockets. Kind of like Dick Cheney with Haliburton in Iraq. They are all in on it. Republicans do nothing while millions have come across the border. What would have happened if Governor Abbot would have closed the border with the National Guard? Do you think the federal government would have attacked Texas? They could be sad and file lawsuits. Who cares. Abbot just sends some people on busses to NYC and Chicago to get re-elected. I watched Mayors rule cities like dictators during covid but a Governor can't close the border? I don't believe it. Useless do-nothing Republicans make me want to puke. Democrats are at least honest about wanting to destroy America.
And this is how topics get locked. Some fool can't help but bring politics into it.