Port Strike

WKR
500 million dollar bonus?! The disregard for common folk is just getting completely out of hand. You only get a bonus of that size and proportion if you've been compromised and have cut some throats here and there along the way. Makes you wonder.
I think Stewie is off by a factor of 10, and he's paid in Danish currency...

Far from $500 million

Capitalism is great, until you’re the one falling victim to it and paying the price. I’m sure the conversation would be different if we were looking at automating ag, or education, or you name it.

I’m sure this thread won’t disappoint with entertainment.

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
To be clear...you mean you believe in keeping your job.

If others downstream lost their job because of interruptions as a result of the strike...that would seem to matter a bit less? If the engineers responsible for developing automation lose their jobs...also okay?
I'm not faulting you for fighting for your job brother, but let's acknowledge the associated "opportunity cost" as it were.

The idea that you are OWED a 50% pay increase over the next 5-8 years sounds laughable to most of the rest of the non-unionized country as that's not based in reality...that's California-type economics in that it's not sustainable.

Just one guy's opinion.

Dave
No, thats not what i mean. To be clear i dont think the strike is the right way to go, i'm not the guy making the calls & im also not on strike lol, im at work right now. The last contract we had was a dollar a year. everyone was good with that. Ive said multiple times i dont agree with everything, i just think there needs to be a line with automation. that's it. ive weighed in enough on this thread, yall have at it

idahodave

WKR
No, thats not what i mean. To be clear i dont think the strike is the right way to go, i'm not the guy making the calls & im also not on strike lol, im at work right now. The last contract we had was a dollar a year. everyone was good with that. Ive said multiple times i dont agree with everything, i just think there needs to be a line with automation. that's it. ive weighed in enough on this thread, yall have at it

Appreciate the clarification. Hope it works out the right way for all of us...whatever that means.

Dave

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
The largest expense for any employer is labor. I'm not privy to the financials of all the shipping companies, but I find it hard to believe that these well paid dock workers only account for 5% of the companies cost? Fact check please.

Poser

WKR
The largest expense for any employer is labor. I'm not privy to the financials of all the shipping companies, but I find it hard to believe that these well paid dock workers only account for 5% of the companies cost? Fact check please.

Could just be the dockworker portion of their labor expense. The actual crews and management themselves would be an entirely seperate labor pool.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What job gets a 77% raise over 6 years? Seems absolutely unrealistic and ridiculous
Likely during the last contract craft professionals agreed to smaller cost of living increases during the economic hard times with the anticipation that during future prosperity they would be rewarded.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

The ILA fought against using containers, which were becoming common at other ports, from the '30s through to the '70s because they would be too efficient and take away jobs.

Same arguments they are now making against automation, which is becoming common at other ports.

Luddites.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
its a big deal if it lasts more than two weeks but with this being an election year I don’t think it will
I gotta believe they will invoke the Taft-Hartley but who knows for sure.
The president has the emergency power under the Taft Hartley Act to force stall a strike and create a cooling down period while a contract is negotiated. That would protect the American people from shortages and massive price increases, but would cost a certain candidate a bunch of Union votes. Something the Union mob boss is well aware of so he knows that he’s safe in pushing this strike forward with perfect timing. Unions playing politics with the pocketbooks of Americans. They have the current administration up against the wall by the throat and damn well know it.

We order a lot of basic stuff online because of where we live and prices. Used to see my UPS guy almost daily. Really nice guy and enjoyed chatting with him. Since the UPS strike I thinks he’s been by a half dozen times. Still see him drive by every once in a while. But now all deliveries are third party contractors and Amazon shipped in their own delivery vans over the last year to deliver for them. Carful what you wish for. Everyone goes in on CEOs salaries and profits and what not and that’s all well and dandy. But companies and CEOs are not going to take a pay cut because of some union contract or minimum wage hike, they’ll increase prices or find a cheaper way (automation) to get the job done in order to keep their profits/salaries. Again, be careful what you wish for.
my thoughts exactly. He could stop this and allow for more time to negotiate.

Hydra6

FNG
I was automating paper mills and lumber facilities before I retired. Issue was not management wanting to replace workers - it was survival as we could not replace the 50+ year old generation as they retired. Americans are incentivizing companies to automate as the American work ethic is gone. AI will get the white collar jobs and "robots" will get the blue collar jobs. Eventually everyone except the billionaires and the plumbers will be on "basic income".