Port Strike

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
People always use the argument that unions prevent folks from being fired. I'm not saying this doesn't ever happen, I've just never seen it. I have seen multiple people get fired.
UAW member here, in 12.5 years ive seen a total of 3 people fired.. one of which was his 5th time, and he was rehired 3 months later... again. from my POV that's ALL the union does is prevent people from being fired and/or held accountable in any way.

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Thanks for the frank and clear answer. When put in this context, it sounds more reasonable. But I have a question about opposing automation. Why? A good engineering solution should always accommodate existing workers. Why not support advances in technology and efficiency by demanding retraining and further education opportunities along with guarantees that existing workers won't lose their jobs?
Look up some of the full automated ports. Crane operators are gone, truck drivers are gone, clerks have been replaced. It takes very few people to run the entire port. It’s not something that we can work alongside. It’s a complete replacement. Most of us are not against technology, we are against losing 90% of our jobs. The union is not perfect but without it we would be unemployed. In the last 3 years we have been under the same contract, wages haven’t increased & the cost to ship a 40’ container has tripled. We aren’t the cause of inflation / shipping rates. When the demand rises so do their prices

Yoder

WKR
I was irritated at first since I hate unions, but I think you have to consider where these people work. If you work on the coast, you have to be close enough to commute to work. I can't even imagine how expensive everything is. Making $75/hr sounds like a lot of money until you work in NYC. Then tack on how much we have all lost with inflation and it doesn't seem unreasonable to want an extra 10% a year.

I never agree with trashing CEO's for what they make. Nobody would have a job without them. Without Bezos, there would be no Amazon. How many jobs did he create? Nobody is owed a job either or deserves more money for being "loyal". That's what I don't like about the unions. Most of the time, you shouldn't get a raise for just showing up, you should get it for doing a good job. I do agree sometimes you need to bump everyone a little bit for inflation, but even then, more should go to the best workers.

We aren’t the cause of inflation / shipping rates.

Your about to be. Everything is passed onto the consumer. Including your raises, and I'm not saying you don't deserve a raise.

Side note:
I'm friends with a guy who worked for GM in Ohio.
When the Lordstown GM plant shut down I asked him what the deal was, and he told me that if I knew half of the $hit that went on at that place that I would never in a million years buy a GM product or believe that a functional car even ever rolled out the door of the plant. He had some stories to tell, and the entitlement from those Union workers was next level. The plant has been closed down for now.

Last edited:

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
Has the potential to be extremely disruptive for the Ag market. Majority of chemistry used in the US comes in to ports from China and India. Any port disruption will increase prices and put a severe strain on supply. All this at a time when farmers are facing significant commodity price decline. Not a great time to be a farmer.

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Your about to be. Everything is passed onto the consumer. Including your raises, and I'm not saying you don't deserve a raise.

Side note:
I'm friends with a guy who worked for GM in Ohio.
When the Lordstown GM plant shut down I asked him what the deal was, and he told me that if I knew half of the $hit that went on at that place that I would never in a million years but a GM product or believe that a functional car even ever rolled out the door of the plant. He had some stories to tell, and the entitlement from those Union workers was next level. The plant has been closed down for now.
handful of those guys ended up at my plant in flint michigan, their families stayed in ohio and they went back every few weeks to visit. those guys got a $hit deal on that one.

BBob

WKR
This guy isn’t helping the dock workers cause. Tells the rest of us he only cares about his workers and will happily crush others jobs to do that. Kind of makes me not want to have any sympathy at all.

He’ll continue to rake in the big bucks while hastening the march towards automation.

How’s that Cali minimum wage thing working out?

IMG_4258.jpeg

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Like I said, don’t believe everything you see on the news, from either side 😂

Attachments

• IMG_9232.jpeg
    IMG_9232.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 30
Look at this guy going all gangster with his gold necklace.

"Give me what I want or else." Straight up modern-day Union mentality right there. All this is going to do is raise prices to more extreme highs when people are hurting the most. Good job.

UAW member here, in 12.5 years ive seen a total of 3 people fired.. one of which was his 5th time, and he was rehired 3 months later... again. from my POV that's ALL the union does is prevent people from being fired and/or held accountable in any way.
Another union member here. I think we are at 5 lineman alone this year fired. Our union will fight tooth and nail to keep your job if it was an unjust firing. If not, we will not waste the money. Seems reasonable to me. Of all the fired this year, I havnt felt sorry for any of them.

Last edited:

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Another union member here. I think we are at 5 lineman alone this year fired. Our union will fight tooth and nail to keep your job if it was an unjust firing. If not, we will not waste the money. Seems reasonable to me. Of all the fired this year, I havnt felt sorry for any if them.
Agreed

WKR

"Give me what I want or else." Straight up modern-day Union mentality right there. All this is going to do is raise prices to more extreme highs when people are hurting the most. Good job.

Automate. Eliminate his leverage.

Play hard ball. Go ahead.

Our last negotiation was a little rough. It went 2 months past the deadline, but we have a no strike clause. Thank God, because I don't think I could ever honestly strike. We have it pretty damn good, but always want more. The company knows we have it good, but always wants to take more. 50% wages over 8 years seems excessive imo. I get that you are comparing to cost of shipping, but should that really be a comparison?

Has your job changed significantly since the rise of shipping costs? Or do you guys just feel like you deserve a bigger piece of the pie?

1 state away from me, the lineman make 20-30% more than I do. Their COL is also much higher than ours, but ours is starting to catch up. The next 10 years is gonna be interesting imo. I envision a bubble that, at some point, is going to deflate, maybe not burst. I'm probably union in most cases, but HATE the threats and strikes.

I think what keeps us "grounded" more than other unions, is the fact that we have multiple contractors that work along side us and pick up our slack when we can't keep up. They get our shitiest jobs. Knowing that if I quit, those guys would step right it and take my spot in a heartbeat helps me appreciate what I have.

Last edited:

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Automations is here and will most certainly take over a lot of jobs, already has. Unfortunately it's the price to pay for advanced technology. Even in the trade I worked in, A/C, a lot of the trouble shooting was made faster by self diagnosing programs in a lot of the system. You saw 1,2,3,4 or how ever many lights flashing and you had the problem solved, you confirmed the issue, then made the repairs.

Weldor

WKR
Another union member here. I think we are at 5 lineman alone this year fired. Our union will fight tooth and nail to keep your job if it was an unjust firing. If not, we will not waste the money. Seems reasonable to me. Of all the fired this year, I havnt felt sorry for any if them.
Right on Brother, Retired Union welder. 8 for 8 was our motto. that was usually 12 for 12 but that works too. Back in the day if you did not produce you were gone and good riddance. We are proud of our work and union. Unless you've been there ,you can surmise all you want.

Marshfly

WKR

Literally the exact words that went through my head when I saw that picture. ROFLMAO.

Gold necklace. Big ring with the diamonds. Like a cartoon.