poor mans ingenuity, post yours

ams

WKR
I spend a lot of time trying to think of ways save money. Sometimes it works and some times I realize I gotta spend some cash!
For instance, wearing a hat in a bivy keeps the fabric off your face. A snuggy works great in a bivy in warm temps (camo ofcourse) and today I realized I could stake down my tent rain fly, prop up the center with a hiking pole, and guy it out for a light weight floorless shelter for two.
Post your experiments and ideas.

Mckinnon

WKR
I buy brown and green face paint during halloween... i think both tubes cost 1.25 or so at wal-mart. I also camp out in front of rei at all of their garage sales, where I picked up my pad, my sleeping bag, and pack for around 60% off, the trade price being a few hours of sleep.

dotman

WKR
Dehydrator itself sounds expensive, has anyone done the math on how many mt house meals you could buy for the cost of the machine? I have never looked into these things.

cmeier117

WKR
Have a good hunting partner and go into together on things you can share. Filter, Stove, Tent, etc... You can also save weight this way, and if you were trying to save weight by yourself it would cost a lot more than splitting up gear. I have done this with my dad. Although I find that I am buying the things we share. ;)

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be making a tyvek bivy for about $30. It will have the waterproof and durable house wrap on the bottom and the softer, quieter 1443R Tyvek for the top.

PhillyB

WKR
I'll be making a tyvek bivy for about $30. It will have the waterproof and durable house wrap on the bottom and the softer, quieter 1443R Tyvek for the top.

Will you post some pics? I would be interested in the process of how to go about this.

bowinhand

WKR
Dotman, probably about six MH meals but you can do so much more with a dehydrator then just making dried meals...

bbrown

WKR
Turns out a 2" section of a white bic pen fits perectly into the hose off my Katadyn/Pur hiker water filter - then I slip it into the hose on my Camelback and fill away. I do have to tip the pack upside down or open the top of the bladder to let off the pressure though if I want to fill it all the way. I can usually fit 70-80 oz of water in my 100oz bladder without venting it - which is all I want to carry most of the time anyway.

You can get about 8 MT meals for a dehydrator. And you can make fruit leather, veggie leather, dehydrate jerky, and make your own dehydrated meals.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Sewed my own scabbard and one for my buddy. No one made one light enough for me. Mine are 10 to 12 oz.
Sew my own silnylon stuff sacks.
Made neoprene lense covers for our bino's.
Have a dehydrator and make some of my camp food.
Make Logan bread as a replacement for some energy bars.