Polartec Alpha

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
OP-is this actually Polartech Alpha? The link says “recycled polyester” and makes no mention of it.

woods89

WKR
Agreed with the others, technical specs are a little light in the description.

For what it's worth, the fabric in the liner can make or break this insulation. The pieces with Alpha Direct and no liner avoid these issues. I don't know what liner fabric they use, but if it's not breathable enough it will affect the usability of the garment.

OP
Huntingpreacher
Hi All! Sorry for the slow reply. I called and talked to a guy at Scott. He confirmed that the jacket has Polartec Alpha (100) in the front, hood, and sleeves. In actually holding and feeling the jacket, all the insulated areas feel identical.
The liner is very thin and presumably breathable, but that is my main concern.
A large on my scales weighs just a hair over 14 oz so I think it will make a great piece for backpacking as the back is just a grid mesh.
Here's more info from Scott website.
It definitely has Polartec Alpha insulation.

woods89

WKR
Hi All! Sorry for the slow reply. I called and talked to a guy at Scott. He confirmed that the jacket has Polartec Alpha (100) in the front, hood, and sleeves. In actually holding and feeling the jacket, all the insulated areas feel identical.
A large on my scales weighs just a hair over 14 oz so I think it will make a great piece for backpacking as the back is just a grid mesh.

That is cool that the back is just mesh. That concept needs to be expanded in the backpack hunting clothes world, as usually when active we are wearing backpacks.

Here's what I did a year or so ago with a fleece. It worked well, but then I got a Alpha Direct jacket and haven't used it much since.20220213_183303.jpg20220213_183237.jpg

Great! Thanks for the follow up. I ordered one, should be a good multi role piece. I’m gonna try it out on some backcountry ski trips.

OP
Huntingpreacher
That is cool that the back is just mesh. That concept needs to be expanded in the backpack hunting clothes world, as usually when active we are wearing backpacks.

Here's what I did a year or so ago with a fleece. It worked well, but then I got a Alpha Direct jacket and haven't used it much since.View attachment 486301
This is a great idea!

Last edited:
OP
Huntingpreacher
Product update. I've used this for a couple trail runs in windy/cold weather.
Overall I like it. I tested it against a Sitka Kelvin Active jacket.
Breathability - 7
Wind resistance - 10 (Except for the grid fleece back)
Warmth for Weight - 6
Quickness drying - 9 (Dried quicker than the Kelvin Active)
Moisture wicking - 4 (I'm not a fan of the liner.)
Value - 9 (For $89 it's a good buy.)
I don't think I'd pick this over a Sitka Kelvin or Ambient for a mid layer.
The best use for this jacket, imo, would be as an outer layer paired with a long sleeve base layer. It wouldn't be ideal paired with a shell.