POI shift with different lots of ammo. What is the norm?

RWT

WKR
Curious what is the expected shift in POI from changing to a new lot of ammo. Noticed a significant difference this weekend. Is it more rifle/ barrel specific? This one was a surprise I was not expecting as I wanted to shoot a 10 round group to establish a cone for this rifle ammo combo. Thought I grab 2 boxes from same lot. I was wrong and the difference is larger than expected. IMG_8968.jpegIMG_8967.jpegIMG_8966.jpeg

2” dot at 100 yards. Five shot in the dot then grabbed another box. Clearly a different result.

Bowfinn

FNG
In my experience that seems to be a “normal” shift from lot to lot, but it varies. The solution is find one that shoots well, and then buy as much of that lot as you can.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Curious what is the expected shift in POI from changing to a new lot of ammo. Noticed a significant difference this weekend. Is it more rifle/ barrel specific? This one was a surprise I was not expecting as I wanted to shoot a 10 round group to establish a cone for this rifle ammo combo. Thought I grab 2 boxes from same lot. I was wrong and the difference is larger than expected. View attachment 753042View attachment 753043View attachment 753044

2” dot at 100 yards. Five shot in the dot then grabbed another box. Clearly a different result.

Anywhere from 0” to 3” is common between lot numbers. Sometimes more, but that would be relatively bad.

If you want stable lot to lot, Federal Good Medal Match 168gr and 175gr SMK.

TaperPin

WKR
Hornady has had some large differences in 7 PRC ammo as the original loads used a powder that later became unobtainable and the new powder didn’t produce as much velocity. It would not be out the realm of possibilities that other cartridges have similar issues with all the powder shortages.

Dave0317

WKR
It wouldn’t surprise me to see up to 2 MOA or so.

I shot the same rifle with 308 Fed GMM in 168 grain for a couple barrel’s full lifetimes. Bulk ordered ammo and usually had a new lot once a year. Over all those lot changes I can’t remember ever adjusting zero more than about .5 MOA. Fed GMM has always had a great reputation for consistency though.

WCB

WKR
Ammo companies load to an accuracy spec and not a POI spec if that makes sense. Most should be within 2-3" the majority no matter bullet selection that I have experienced are within 1". What you show above shouldn't be unexpected.