Pocket rocket windscreen

nmacgyver

FNG
Anyone here have an experience with a DIY windscreen for their pocket rocket? I’ve done the wind burner for a long time now, but I’m trying to get back into non-freeze dried food and cooking like my old NOLS days. And I’d also like to be able to bring a pot and pan that I can also use on a fire. Which leads me to the pocket rocket but I hate the inefficiencies of no windscreen. I know not to blow up my fuel canister, so I’m wondering if anyone has successfully navigated this critical issue and made a hanging or elevated DIY windscreen…

feanor

WKR
Check out fire maple too. I got a 600 ml petrel pot with heat exchange baffles and it was very efficient. Not sure if that would be big enough to cook for you though. They have some larger options with different heat exchanges too.

OP
nmacgyver

nmacgyver

FNG
Thanks for that idea, too. Checking out the fire maple stuff, now I realize I'm an idiot. I had purchased the MSR Lowdown to separate the burner from the canister itself and, like an idiot, didn't consider how that fixed the canister heating problem with the extra traditional MSR windscreens I have. I'm probably just going to carry that extra 6 oz than fiddle with the DIY stuff or even the flat cat stuff (which is really cool, but didn't seem like it'd be big enough for my frying pan I'd want to cook with).

Thanks for the info and pushing me in the right direction to realize I already had a solution!

OP
nmacgyver

nmacgyver

FNG
What piece of knowledge are you referring to with this comment? Is a canister more susceptible to exploding if you use a windscreen improperly?
I've read that if you were to use a traditional windscreen with a pocket rocket - basically insulating the pot, burner, and canister - that the contained heat could cause the canister itself to heat up. And I think I recall that it is possible it could explode, but of course I've never seen such a thing with my own eyes.