POA being disregarded to accuracy

Macintosh

WKR
I thought this was standard precision versus accuracy? 2 different things.
And yes, when shooting groups most people I know with accurate rifles tend to dial up or over a few clicks to avoid shooting-out their aiming point.

Attachments

• IMG_2635.jpeg
    IMG_2635.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 29

SDHNTR

WKR
I thought this was standard precision versus accuracy? 2 different things.
And yes, when shooting groups most people I know with accurate rifles tend to dial up or over a few clicks to avoid shooting-out their aiming point.
No way! Not much is more gratifying to me that cutting out that bullseye and seeing the daylight shine through!

Attachments

• IMG_3314.jpeg
    IMG_3314.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2813.jpeg
    IMG_2813.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 20

Flyrodr

FNG
So I was at the local indoor range Monday night confirming zero at 50 yards with my squirrel gun. I then moved the target to 100 yards, mostly to satisfy myself that I didn't have some "hidden" windage error that wasn't apparent in my 50 yd zero. I dialed in what I found to be an average elevation correction for the .22LR ammo I frequently use (7 MOA; maybe should have been a quarter MOA lower), and shot this five-shot group. Just five; it met my needs. The RSO looked at the target and said something like "So, you'll be able to pick which eye you want to shoot the squirrel in at 100 yards." And, no, I can't do that on demand. Although that rifle will typically shoot less than 1 MOA, and sometimes less than 0.5 MOA "when I do things right". I always laugh at that. How many really good groups are shot "when I DON'T do things right"???

Attachments

• Lapua SLR at 100 10-16-23.jpg
    Lapua SLR at 100 10-16-23.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 13

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So I was at the local indoor range Monday night confirming zero at 50 yards with my squirrel gun. I then moved the target to 100 yards, mostly to satisfy myself that I didn't have some "hidden" windage error that wasn't apparent in my 50 yd zero. I dialed in what I found to be an average elevation correction for the .22LR ammo I frequently use (7 MOA; maybe should have been a quarter MOA lower), and shot this five-shot group. Just five; it met my needs. The RSO looked at the target and said something like "So, you'll be able to pick which eye you want to shoot the squirrel in at 100 yards." And, no, I can't do that on demand. Although that rifle will typically shoot less than 1 MOA, and sometimes less than 0.5 MOA "when I do things right". I always laugh at that. How many really good groups are shot "when I DON'T do things right"???
Thems is dead squirrels.

“Do my part” is funny to me, but I catch myself wanting to use it to account for how crappy I can shoot some days.

I know that statistically, a portion of my three shot “good groups” are sure to include a “lucky” shot where it would have gone low but when combined with shooter error it went high and into the group.

That’s the thing with statistically insignificantly small “good groups”—I can’t be sure of the amount of my influence in each particular shot on the rifle. Confounding factors.

Now, if the shooter has proven repeatability and shoots like a machine, that is outside information to inform the assessment of the group. We always add outside information to the judgement about 3 shot groups. It’s not that they are all worthless, they are not, it’s just they are not complete pictures of reality.

As humans we are pattern seeking machines and we operate with subconscious heuristics to predict events. Our “gut” feeling is pretty good, but it can be fooled. Three shot groups fall into this category when we also really have “rifle owner” bias. I want my rifles to be worthy of a little price for the money I put into them, hahaha.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is what I did breaking in my new barrel… got on paper at 100 with bore sight, rough adjustment close to zero, shot a small group to make fine adjustment, then zeroed POI to POA. Shot three to confirm.

I may move it one click left cause like to use a non-perfect zero to cancel out what little spin drift there is. But, I need another 80 or so down the tube to finish break in, so it will stay.090402C8-1C6C-4B1C-95A3-829098BF9A70.jpeg

OP you're reading posts from the wrong wkrs. Lots of fellas maniacal about proper zeroing and maintaining zero around here. And, over on SH the kraft drill got a lot of those prs guys thinking the same way. Really have to venture into the world of fngs or lrh to find pictures of those bughole groups randomly placed on some paper.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-09-28 17_50_14.336165.jpgBallistic-X-Export-2023-09-28 18_15_03.116764.jpgBallistic-X-Export-2023-08-21 06_08_36.699599.jpgBallistic-X-Export-2023-08-06 15_05_43.932419.jpgCAP8835374746145690611.jpg

Last edited: