please school me on jetboil

ridgefire

WKR
I have both and have used my PR the majority of the time. I wish the PR had a small igniter on it like my jetboil does though. I hate carrying around a lighter for it.

I use the JB PCS w/ a skillet (for trout & such). Nothing boils faster than JB when packing in MH meals or ya just wanna cup of coffee.

[video=youtube;9L5sFDYgQ5U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L5sFDYgQ5U[/video]

Last edited:

kodiakfly

WKR
I've not used a jetboil, so I could be wrong, but with my PR, I use a kettle that can also be used with a wood fire and I don't think the JB can pull double duty there.

You are correct. But I never use a fire while camping, or even to cook food while camping. It's a compromise, but if it fits your needs, it works really well...as in...

I use the JB PCS w/ a skillet (for trout & such). Nothing boils faster than JB when packing in MH meals or ya just wanna cup of coffee.

Exactly. Especially when hunting/fishing alone and you just need a cup of hot water. Cooking for a group, or where I need something more elaborate, I go back to my MSR stoves.

littlebuf

Banned
Not really much of an advantage other than everything fits in the cup.

Couldn't disagree more. Used the pocket rocket for years, now use a jet boil. Advantages, faster boils and can get 20 plus boils out of the same fuel canister my PR would get 11 out of. So there's weight savings on fuel too. Weight wise over all my set ups identical until you factor in the need for more fuel. So actually I see no advantage to the pocket rocket

I have a couple Jetboil setups and this is what I'm taking to the mountains. Lighter and faster boil times using less fuel. It's a Ti Jetboil cup that I modified pared up with a Soto Windmaster. The Soto fits up inside the Jetboil flux ring ("fins") perfectly and hardly and heat goes up the sides on full power. I'm boiling a 12 oz cup of 38ºF water for coffee in 1 minute 5 seconds. The Jetboil Sol Ti burner takes me 1 minute 34 seconds to boil the same amount of water and uses more fuel doing it.
UberLightJetboilSoto_zps9e2d8cc0.png

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My buddy has been using the JetBoil for several years now. I finally gave in, upgraded my PocketRocket (w/ Titan Kettle), and bought a JetBoil Sumo Ti last year. We have had no issues with JetBoil other than the self ignitor breaking on an older version. Just to see what the all the fuss was about so I picked up a MSR Reactor to try out. I read somewhere that the Sumo Ti "cup" could be damaged melting snow so I wanted to have an alternative (and it was a good excuse to play with something new). Where I think the PocketRocket really shines is a back up stove. Its small and light and provides good peace of mind just in cause the main stove goes down.

I'll be going back and forth between the JB and the Reactor this spring/summer to decide which one to take on the August sheep hunt.

stephen b

WKR
I have a couple Jetboil setups and this is what I'm taking to the mountains. Lighter and faster boil times using less fuel. It's a Ti Jetboil cup that I modified pared up with a Soto Windmaster. The Soto fits up inside the Jetboil flux ring ("fins") perfectly and hardly and heat goes up the sides on full power. I'm boiling a 12 oz cup of 38ºF water for coffee in 1 minute 5 seconds. The Jetboil Sol Ti burner takes me 1 minute 34 seconds to boil the same amount of water and uses more fuel doing it.
UberLightJetboilSoto_zps9e2d8cc0.png

Nice light set up!

How did you modify the JB cup, and is that lid you have on it one of their standard lids? Any mods to the soto stove to get this to work well?

Thanks

My buddy has been using the JetBoil for several years now. I finally gave in, upgraded my PocketRocket (w/ Titan Kettle), and bought a JetBoil Sumo Ti last year. We have had no issues with JetBoil other than the self ignitor breaking on an older version. Just to see what the all the fuss was about so I picked up a MSR Reactor to try out. I read somewhere that the Sumo Ti "cup" could be damaged melting snow so I wanted to have an alternative (and it was a good excuse to play with something new). Where I think the PocketRocket really shines is a back up stove. Its small and light and provides good peace of mind just in cause the main stove goes down.

I'll be going back and forth between the JB and the Reactor this spring/summer to decide which one to take on the August sheep hunt.

Good luck on your hunt man! Replace the beef patty with a tenderloin:

[video=youtube;_AYATE2-lck]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AYATE2-lck[/video]

stephen b,
I dremeled off the lower portion of the Jetboil so that just the fins were left. The lid is a carbon fiber Rota Locura lid, weighs hardly anything. No mods were needed on the Soto.

Not sure I would add the weight of that frying pan. We use sticks! ;)
409472136.jpg

Yeah except with this drought finding places where you can legally build a fire out west is MUCH more difficult this year. I prefer campfire cooking as well but it is not always an option.

stephen b

WKR
stephen b,
I dremeled off the lower portion of the Jetboil so that just the fins were left. The lid is a carbon fiber Rota Locura lid, weighs hardly anything. No mods were needed on the Soto.

Thanks for the info. Good mod- that took off some weight for sure. Your set up weighs only about an oz or so more than the standard JB Ti cup.

Yeah, the amount of Ti taken off on the dremel job only makes it so the SOTO can easily fit onto the cup and maximize the heat going into the cup. Works slick as can be though and I can also use the SOTO with another cup/pot if needed pretty easy.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I read somewhere that the Sumo Ti "cup" could be damaged melting snow so I wanted to have an alternative (and it was a good excuse to play with something new). Where I think the PocketRocket really shines is a back up stove. Its small and light and provides good peace of mind just in cause the main stove goes down.

Yep I melted a TI Sumo cup last spring on a grizzly hunt. Had an inch or so of water in the bottom and put snow on top....still melted the flux ring. I also have a setup like snowcamo man..... I've been using Soto stove/jetboil combo since 2010 with great success. The Sumo cup is awesome IMO, its so nice to be able to boil water for 2-3 meals at a time if going with 2 or more people, yes its larger, but worth it for me atleast and I now only use the aluminum model and have notches cut in my Sumo cup to accept the SOTO stoves which boil water much faster than the heavier jetboil stoves. I carry two Soto stoves along on remote trips as a backup...never had a jetboil or Soto stove fail ever, but its 2.6 oz of insurance that can really muff up a hunt if it fails so I take one along....Soto stoves especially if the ignitor is removed after they quit working are even lighter than the Pocket Rockets and seem to boil water faster.

Might as well improve a product whenever needed. Use the best of all items wherever possible I say.