Please help w/ Elk boots

I went through a similar situation with boots a few years ago and I totally feel you on the frustration. You are expected to make a decision on whether a boot will work or not by walking around in your house and "not getting them dirty". Crazy. However, I finally settled on Schnees with Lathrop and Sons footbed inserts. Game changer for me. I have been running the Schnees Timberline boots the past couple years and absolutely love them. The Beartooths are great as well, but a little bit stiffer. Some feet don't like that. All of this being said, my opinion is it doesn't matter what the brand is, you just have to find a boot that your foot likes. And like Schnees said above, they are running a SWEET deal on some of their best all-around mountain boots right now.

Kyle Avey

WKR
Similar foot issues here. Tried crispis, kenetreks, etc.

Finally found Hanwag and they’ve worked great for MY feet.

I couldn’t get the Crispi Summits off my foot fast enough. It felt like I was walking on broken glass. I absolutely know that I am the odd ball in that one but the foot bed is bad. I would also give Schnee’s a look. Especially now with a 50% sale going on. They also have a nice return/exchange policy.

If the summits don’t blister you, the lapponia 2 has potential, pretty similar fit.

I agree with a reply above, if you are prone to blisters, you may want to lean towards a softer boot. Stiff boots are less forgiving with blisters

On the other hand, it’s really hard for anyone to recommend a boot that will be comfortable on your feet. I have learned over the years what to look for in a boot that will likely be comfortable for me personally, but wouldn’t be very confident choosing a boot for someone else not knowing what types of boots fit you… the summit is the only boot on your list that I have experience with, and I really liked it… 2 downfalls to me was too much synthetic, and synthetic in wear areas leaks prematurely, and for a lightweight boot, they were hot, feet sweat in them a lot

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gone back and forth with wearing a liner sock over the years. They work too good for me not to use them, so I’ve just made them part of my system and fit. I get zero blisters on my heels, which I used to get more frequently.

Another vote for leukotape. I have had issues finding a boot also. Get several that are close but none that are perfect. After day 4 or 5 of hunting, I always get a blister on my right heel. Learned just to tape those spots from the beginning instead of waiting, and it has been money for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwags551

FNG
Anyone try Hanwag boots? Looking for something flexible, lightweight, waterproof, with support to haul out a heavy load. Most use would be around trout streams, turkey hunting, elk hunting, and shed hunting.

Tried the Crispi Briksdal and they were wayyy too stiff. Felt like I had a 2x4 strapped to the bottom of my foot

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I got a pair of the Makra II last summer and used them to pack out about 2.5 miles over relatively level but very rocky terrain. They took some time to break in and had me wondering if I should keep them or not. I go them from GoHunt and followed the size guide per one of their staff that had the same measurements I do. At first and for a couple weeks the boots were tight in the toe box and I had some heel lift. The GoHunt team was amazing in answering questions and working with me. They urged me to give the boots more time and I did. I really like them.

I would be OK with the boots if they were more stiff but have no complaints. Finding the right sock combination is the challenge with most any boots and a thin merino liner from Injini and a medium weight BlackOvis merino were perfect for me. No blisters or major issues. I would say some 'warm' hot-spots after the pack out but with 80 pounds on your back and the rough ground, I think that would happen more than not.

Luked

WKR
If you like your renegades, have you tried the Lowa Tibets? I’ve enjoyed mine for the past 5 years. There are some on camo fire today.
was going to say the same thing.
If the renegades fit the Tibet GTX are pretty good. I have had a pair going on 4 years now and mine still look great and dont leak.
My brother bought some Hanwag Yukon and he really likes them also.

I have been looking at trying something else that is more synthetic jsut to get a little lighter weight boot and the Hanwag Makra Pro GTX is what im looking at getting.