Planning First Trip to Montana

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,

I grew up in western Montana, and after living in SW Wyoming and now North Idaho I’ve gotten the upland hunting bug hard. I am planning a trip to NE Montana this September to get the pups on prairie birds. I know it’s pretty warm on the MT prairies in early-mid September, so I’m guessing we will be done hunting by 10:30-11:00 at the latest everyday. What do you guys do the rest of the day? Does it generally cool enough for a evening hunt? Am I better off waiting til October? Any and all advice is welcome.

Seubs070

FNG
I've done eastern north dakota at the end of September the past couple of years. The weather is highly variable. The first year we went the first day it was near 100 degrees with a 30+ mph wind. Felt like standing in front of a furnace. The next day was in the upper 60's.

Should cool off enough to get a quick hunt in before sunset. I spent most of the afternoon driving around scouting new spots.

Have fun. Prairie birds are super addicting.

Rosst

FNG
Hi All,

I grew up in western Montana, and after living in SW Wyoming and now North Idaho I’ve gotten the upland hunting bug hard. I am planning a trip to NE Montana this September to get the pups on prairie birds. I know it’s pretty warm on the MT prairies in early-mid September, so I’m guessing we will be done hunting by 10:30-11:00 at the latest everyday. What do you guys do the rest of the day? Does it generally cool enough for a evening hunt? Am I better off waiting til October? Any and all advice is welcome.
Its not always hot in sept, but most of the time it is
If you can wait to schedule it until you know the forecast that helps
After the hunt? Clean birds and knock on doors for permission. We usually get an hour or two of shorter walks in the evening even on hot days
I have never hunted NE MT in oct for huns and sharpies but if you go late enuf you would be able to shoot pheasants. Downside is birds prob dont hold as well as in sept

OP
AndrewMT34

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all! I think I will try to push my trip later into the month. Was originally planning on the first week of September.