Planning a CO elk trip

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
New guy here. I've been lurking for a month and decided it was time to join. Me and a buddy are planning on going to CO for our first elk hunt (BIL is former army and may tag along for the experience but not hunt). We've started making lists for gear, working out, reading everything we can get our hands on.

I've kind of taken the lead on the planning phases of this thing. I have spent hours on Colorado Fish and wildlife website pouring over the past 3 years of harvest stats, the hunting atlas, the draw odds, etc. if you need to know where anything is on that website I'll tell you! I've also ordered a few nat geo wilderness maps and poured over them as well.

I've narrowed it down to a couple different thoughts on units and would like your opinions. Not specific hunting areas just thoughts. We would be doing a spike camp anywhere from 5-8 miles back hopefully in the wilderness areas so as not to worry about ATVs.

751: I like the amount of wilderness this zone has in it and what appears to be straightforward access to the trailhead I like. I also like the lower hunter numbers compared to the other weminuche areas. I don't like the success ratio. Obviously this is other hunters and not us. OTC so more flexibility on which units to hunt

77: I like the OTC success ratio. Not necessarily thrilled on the number of hunters. And less wilderness area. OTC more flexible

78: I like the access (but can be a negative). Like the OTC success harvest stat. Little less wilderness area. OTC so more flexible.

54: like the fact that hunters are limited because of draw (non residents can draw with 0 pp). Don't necessarily like low harvest stats. Like the amount of wilderness area. Have to hunt this zone if drawn

55: like the fact that hunters are limited because of draw. Don't like the low harvest stats. Don't like the amount of wilderness area. Do like the size of this unit. Have to hunt this zone if drawn

551: love the harvest stats, love the draw. No wilderness area though. And size is ok. Have to hunt this zone if drawn

If you don't feel comfortable saying some of these things publically feel free to message. I AM NOT looking for specifics. I'm just stuck on making a decision and need more experienced people's opinions. I have places marked on my topo maps and google earth that look "elky" but first hand experience def more valuable. Everyone I've met from Arkansas that has gone has been to the san juans or rio grandes. Throwing the Gunnison area in is what has me questioning

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
to sum up this long opening post; basically it comes down to the San Juans/Weminuche or the Gunnison/West Elk

elkyinzer

WKR
I can't help you find a specific area but I'll say this, and basically what I am doing is gently steering you away from excel and into the topo maps and google earth:

I've learned to basically take the harvest stats and throw them right out the window. I got all tied up on them planning my first hunt. I was getting into freaking statistical analysis over 5 and 10 year periods before I realized how dumb that was due to the unreliability of the data and the fact that past kills have absolutely no forecasting value as it relates to my odds of killing an elk within some broadly defined area in the future. Now I don't even look at them anymore. Actually I hope that the units I hunt are extremely low kill % so that it doesn't attract the follow the stats crowd.

I do look at hunter numbers/acre, but I am not fixated on it. I have developed a few techniques to find areas other hunters tend not to go, even within some busier units. Each of those units has dozens and dozens of access points that you can kill an elk from. The puzzle to you is to narrow the focus to the ones that fit your own style and develop your own system over time. The uncertainty within that process is why guides and outfitters do a brisk business each fall, you have to be willing to fail and learn from your mistakes when you go it alone.

Metagross

FNG
Every state manages the distribution of elk hunting permits differently. It’s critical to understand these systems if you want to get a tag, and unfortunately, it’s not always easy. Here’s a simplified general breakdown of the various permit systems you might encounter as a nonresident.

I did the same thing you did. Just pick a place and hunt. Once you get on the mountain everything changes. That spot you thought looked great 6 miles off the trailhead might have an outfitter camp setup. Just be prepared to be mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I would steer clear of the southern San Juan units, elk numbers have definitely declined in the last 5 years. It's sad but reality is it gets hunted hard and being new you'll have very little idea of where the animals go when pressured. It is beautiful country and I'll be elk hunting it next year but it's a hard hunt. I only bear hunted it this year and wasn't after elk at all but only saw one decent bull and didn't hear but a few start to bugle a few days after the season was over.

Not sure what rifle season is like there but with all the leaves dropping and being 2nd and 3rd season are otc with an easy 1st season draw and the elk get hammered I'm sure.

Reality is once it started getting talked up 10 or so years ago pressure increased and numbers have declined no matter what the CO DOW says. Deer numbers are up though and getting better each year.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
8 miles is a long long way to pack an elk you might need to set more realistic spike camp goals. Your going to need two trips atlest if it's not a trail and has elevation change

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really looking hard at 54 right now. It would be archery and I know that 54 is a draw. Looking at the quad maps I have a few questions if anyone wants to pm me. I have a general area picked out just need to know outfitter presence etc.

When it comes to actually setting up camp I do have a few questions. Do most people set up on the south side of a mountain and hike up and look down in the mornings? Or do you try and get at the base and climb up? Do most people prefer meadows to set up or close to the tomber or aspens. How far off the trail do you walk before you set up camp on average? I have a few spots I like that are obviously probably not going to work out but just want to make sure I have the right thoughts on it

I live and work in 751 and can answer any of the questions you have. I went out nine times this year and was in elk seven of those times all within 3 miles of the truck. This was my first year hunting elk here in Colorado as well. I will say that if you come out here and want to hunt the wilderness in 751, be prepared to walk. You'll have to do about 12 miles from the southern end just to get to an area that you could hunt, but it's pretty good hunting, there are a few outfitters there so it has to produce or they wouldn't be there. I spent two weeks in the wilderness for work and saw big bucks, moose and elk everytime.

I don't really trust the stats either, I think they can be very misleading as not everyone reports so you are going to get flawed data.

Google earth also does a shitty job of really representing what the terrain is like here.

PM me if you have any other questions.