Pistols & red dots

Brooks

WKR
I was shooting a friends Glock 30 and a Wilson Combat Arms 9 mm last week. He had a Trijicon RMR red dot sight on each pistol. We were shooting 5 to 40 yards at multiple steel targets, first time I’ve ever shot using a red dot sight and can’t believe how good we were shooting with those sights.

Shot about 1000 rounds. Gotta have one ! What sight y’all using or recommend? That Trijicon red dot was awesome but pricey ! They cost more than my 19X but I’m close to pulling the trigger on one.

Reactions: Guy

Axlrod

WKR
I have used the RMR's, they are very good.
I own a couple Holosun. A 407 & 507. One on Ruger Mk4 Hunter it's about 5 years old the other I got this spring for a suppressed Ruger 22/45. One is green and one is red. I prefer the green. Have had no issues with them so far. I think the 407 was $250 or so.
The features I like are the auto off and shake awake. They also have a solar panel, that they run off, in daylight.
As for durability on a gun you might really need, I don't know. But mine work well and they are fast and fun on my rimfires.

I have a few RMR's, they are very vfc durable-reliable. However, you may want to look at their new RCR; basically the same thing, but it has a closed emitter, making it more bomb proof.

croben

WKR
I’ve been using red dots on pistols for over 6 years now. The RMR was the best, but the open emitter design had its flaws. If I were you, I would stick with a closed emitter RDS. I really like the Aimpoint Acro and Holosun 509T.

warrbuk

WKR
I’ve been using red dots on pistols for over 6 years now. The RMR was the best, but the open emitter design had its flaws. If I were you, I would stick with a closed emitter RDS. I really like the Aimpoint Acro and Holosun 509T.

Agree with this! I have had open and closed. Less chance for an “oh shit” moment with the closed emitter system.
Make sure you can replace the battery w/o removing the RDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpmulk

WKR
A vote here for Holosun. Best bang for buck I think. I’ve run the 508t, the EPS, and the EPS carry. Happy with all. Very durable. Sage dynamics has tested red dots more than anyone and is a great resource to learn about red dots from.

From what I know of closed emiters, thus far it seems Trijicon is the only reliable one. As such, I'd stick with Trijicon in a closed emiter.

OP
B

Brooks

WKR
The red dot is designed to help a person shoot better, just like an optic on a rifle.
It helps ! I told my buddy it’s got to be the gun set up because I’ve never shot a pistol so many times so good. Very impressed with the red dot. You can really stretch out your targets with it and within 10 yards it was hard not to shoot small groups.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with the others listed above but have carried a Holosun 509t for a couple years now and just recently started carrying Holosun EPS on my EDC. Like stated above, I think a closed emitter is the way to go if the gun will be carried in any capacity.

The Aimpoint ACRO and Trijicon RCR seem to be good options but again I have no personal experience.

jpmulk

WKR
From what I know of closed emiters, thus far it seems Trijicon is the only reliable one. As such, I'd stick with Trijicon in a closed emiter.
Id say this is pretty well debunked at this point. Check out sage dynamics white paper on red dots. There are several now that are as durable and reliable as trijicon.

Trijicon and Aimpoint is all I will buy from here on out.

I did just buy a Holosun 507 comp that was dead on arrival. They warrantied it, and it's now on the Ruger MKIV and it's cool. I just won't buy another.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Owned an RMR for several years. They will possibly be the last electronics to fail after the apocolypse

That said, I sold it and bought a Holosun 507c after being around a couple that have served friends well for a couple years.

bpitcher

FNG
I've got a couple RMRs and a Holosun previously. Most anything Trijicon is bombproof.

If you're going to carry them, make sure you put in the time to learn them. A lot of guys come from irons and think their presentation is great (myself included) and are mystified when they can't find the dot on the draw.