Pistol carry for women backcountry hunting, backpacking, and living in the field

I work in wildlife and am constantly working/sleeping in remote regions. I also enjoy backcountry hunting and backpacking trips. I am looking searching for lightweight holster options for my 10mm pistol (Springfield Armory XD (M) Elite Compact OSP). I would prefer to steer clear of chest holsters because I would like to have the option to use my bino harness and I cannot add more weight onto my chest with a bino holster option. I thought a leg holster would be the best option but many reviews point out that long trips (15+ miles) can cause pulled muscles or pain due to weight of holster and gun. A backpack holster could be an option but I am limited on the backpacking/ hunt packs that fit me properly (a thread for another time). Currently, my hunt and backpacking pack is a men's Thule 50L (pack from 2016). It has limited attachment options as compared to a Kifaru.

Update: I found a hunt pack that properly fits my back ( https://seekoutside.com/kenai-5400-backpack/ ). This now expands my options for holster attachments to packs.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using a Fobus paddle holster for my G20 for 11 years now, in the backcountry and EDC. Haven't had any issues with it at all.

I'm currently looking for a solution to this problem as well. My girlfriend uses a regular hiking pack that has a padded belt with no attachment points. Is the paddle holster able to be used over a padded pack belt?

Running bladetech dropped offset holster on belt. So no thigh rash from strap. Hip belt for pack rides over it to where no issue offset allows for it to clear pockets on waist belt. Friction retention type holster. I have not found and adapter to put a Blackhawk or safariland on bladetech mount which would be more what I like to run holster wise since I prefer to run light.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is the paddle holster able to be used over a padded pack belt?
I've used mine over my Stone Glacier belt a few times when I have worn the pack low over my hips when empty in hunt mode. But when I wear the pack belt higher around my waist with heavy loads, I wear the paddle holster on my hip and below the waist belt. I do the same with my daypack on when I don't take the SG.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a position (hip, leg, etc) where you can quickly draw and set up the shot? That is going to be the most important factor. It won’t do you any good if it’s in a comfortable place - but you can’t quickly get to it.

You may want to re-configure your pack to make sure your weapon is readily available.

Since I train with my gun on the hip I have wanted to keep it there, but below the pack's hip belt. Also love the new 10mm xdm compact.

I also had heard people talking about issues with the "imbalance" of a leg rig, but I have not had any issues with that. However, I run mine just as low as I need to in order to clear the pack hip belt, so pretty much a hip carry.

If you don't need retention, then I had great success with the gunfighter's inc micro aggression panel combined with their Ronin holster (attached with malice clips). I'd call them, but believe the XDM 45 holster will fit the 10mm perfect:

If you want retention, then last year I experimented with the safariland holsters and really love the ALS system. I go through too much off trail thick brush, crawling, etc. to ever feel totally comfortable with a non-retention holster. I tried all kinds of Safariland mounts, from the drop legs to the low/mid rides. The low ride does get below the pack hip belt but for me it'd put a little too much of a pressure point on my hip under the pack belt. The leg rigs were too bulky for my taste.

I ended up taking just a part of the single strap on a leg rig to mount directly to the holster. Worked well, but still not perfect. Ideally a slightly bigger micro aggression panel (as it's comfortable) that would take the safariland molle holster mount adapter so may end up finding a local seamster to make it.

I also use just a thin 1" leg strap as I don't need a massive, thick heavy leg strap made for combat.

IMG_4006.jpegIMG_4005.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been using the Gunfighter Kenai Chest Holster. I use it two different ways. One location is under my chest bino harness, and the other is lower, below the chest harness near my gut area. My chest holster is always on my body when I remove my back or binos. I have the exact pistol as yours, the Kanai Chest Holster is light and versatile.

I’ve been using a Blackhawk holster for several years now and it’s worked great for me. I like a paddle holster and when I used to use a mystery ranch pack the strap ran outside the pad so I was able to just slip it on that and when I wasn’t using the pack I could move it to my pants easily. I now use a Kifaru pack so I got the Molle mount for it. I think the mole mount should work fine on my belt too though I haven’t carried it like that yet. The holster is versatile that way, easy to make it a paddle, belt or molle mount with a couple screws and it’s just as to adjust cant or make it cross draw. I originally got it because it was inexpensive and I just needed something and it turned out to be awesome.

OP
W
Hey y'all,

Thanks so much for all the responses and sorry for the delay! I have some great news that I was FINALLY able to find a hunt pack that properly fits my back! So this also helped me narrow down some carry options.

Since the Seek Outside packs have webbing on the waist belt I am leaning towards the https://www.ivoryholsters.com/product/emg-pack-holster/ or a paddle holster. It would be ideal to have the option to move the pistol to clip on my pants waist belt and move back to the packs hipbelt. Has anyone used paddle holsters or this ivory system in this manner? The only issue I see that I could run into is the fact that most women jeans and field pants have small belt loops which only allow for "dainty belts". So I would prefer to not attach my pistol to my belt but instead attach to my actual pants.

I also am planning on buying a Kenai chest holster for the times I am not hunting and don't have my bino harness attached to my chest.

Last edited:
Hey y'all,

Thanks so much for all the responses and sorry for the delay! I have some great news that I was FINALLY able to find a hunt pack that properly fits my back! So this also helped me narrow down some carry options.

Since the Seek Outside packs have webbing on the waist belt I am leaning towards the https://www.ivoryholsters.com/product/emg-pack-holster/ or a paddle holster. It would be ideal to have the option to move the pistol to clip on my pants waist belt and move back to the packs hipbelt. Has anyone used paddle holsters or this ivory system in this manner? The only issue I see that I could run into is the fact that most women jeans and field pants have small belt loops which only allow for "dainty belts". So I would prefer to not attach my pistol to my belt but instead attach to my actual pants.

I also am planning on buying a Kenai chest holster for the times I am not hunting and don't have my bino harness attached to my chest.
You've probably moved ahead and purchased your setup but I can share what I'm getting right now. I'm waiting on a Glock G29 10mm to clear the county and I also need a new Bino harness. I have a Kuiu backpack. So the holster system I just bought is the Alien Gear Shape Shift modular holster system. https://aliengearholsters.com/shapeshift-modular-holster-system.html

This system uses one shell to hold the gun that attaches to various mounts such as IWB, OWB, Appendix, as well as others that might serve you well Wildlife Raye such as a backpack strap, Mille, or pocket.

I plan on getting a marsupial Bino harness https://www.blackovis.com/brands/marsupial-gear. By all accounts, friends and online reviews, it's a great harness and system. I like it because it has Molle straps on the bottom that will allow for the Molle holster. Marsupial sells a gun holder, but the Alien system would allow more options based on scenario. There are also add on pouches for a rangefinder, radio, etc.

Hope this helps you or someone else. Once I get the stuff since I just ordered it I can follow up with a review and photos, just let me know if interested.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Rhino8541

WKR
If you have molle or similar type webbing, depending on the holster mount, safariland makes an MLS fork that utilizes there QLS system. You attach the MLS through webbing on your pack. My Kifaru has webbing on the hip belt.

MLS

You attach the QLS base to the MLS, and a QLS fork to your compatible holster. G-code makes a similar system, but I’ve never used it. I’ve had good luck with the QLS system over the years.

Most natural resource employers are not so keen on employees carrying firearms while working (not expressly said but implied in your first post). If this is your intent, best check into this before you get a written reprimand or worse.

You've probably moved ahead and purchased your setup but I can share what I'm getting right now. I'm waiting on a Glock G29 10mm to clear the county and I also need a new Bino harness. I have a Kuiu backpack. So the holster system I just bought is the Alien Gear Shape Shift modular holster system. https://aliengearholsters.com/shapeshift-modular-holster-system.html

This system uses one shell to hold the gun that attaches to various mounts such as IWB, OWB, Appendix, as well as others that might serve you well Wildlife Raye such as a backpack strap, Mille, or pocket.

I plan on getting a marsupial Bino harness https://www.blackovis.com/brands/marsupial-gear. By all accounts, friends and online reviews, it's a great harness and system. I like it because it has Molle straps on the bottom that will allow for the Molle holster. Marsupial sells a gun holder, but the Alien system would allow more options based on scenario. There are also add on pouches for a rangefinder, radio, etc.

Hope this helps you or someone else. Once I get the stuff since I just ordered it I can follow up with a review and photos, just let me know if interested.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
If it will work with your new pack… I have the same exact pistol and really like my Gunfighters Inc Ronin holster. PM me if you’d like some pics. The holster fits a 2” belt/pack Hipbelt webbing but they’d likely work with you on that. I have 4 Gunfighters Inc holsters and have had great experiences with the company.

I second the Gunfighter Kenai chest holster. You always have access to your weapon no matter what clothes or pack you are wearing. It takes a day or so of training to get dialed in. The other good thing about a chest holster is if you take your pack off you Are not separated from your weapon.

I second the Gunfighter Kenai chest holster. You always have access to your weapon no matter what clothes or pack you are wearing. It takes a day or so of training to get dialed in. The other good thing about a chest holster is if you take your pack off you Are not separated from your weapon.
I believe she said she didn’t want a chest holster. I suggested the Gunfighters Inc. Ronin. It’s basically the same holster but for wear on a belt or pack hip belt webbing.