Pinning and welding…a bolt action?

OP, did you ever do this? I love the idea and would like to see how it turned out. I have a few 13.9/14.5/14.8 pinned AR-15s, and they sure are fun to handle. A bolt gun would be superb.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Has this been tried yet? I keep coming back to the following facts
1. No 5 inch can that I am aware of is hearing safe.
2. There are multiple cans in the 6-7 inch range that are hearing safe or close to it.

I'm thinking a pin and weld 14.5 inch barrel with a 6-7 inch suppressor would be a nice option. To me, suppressors are nice but I can get ear pro out if I'm taking a 200 yard shot. It's those bear defense scenarios or sudden opportunities on game at close range where a short rifle AND a suppressor make a nice combo.

OP
ramsdude47
I ended up selling that Kimber but am now on the fence about welding a suppressor I don’t particularly like on to a 12.5” Howa (mini 6mm ARC).

My gunsmith says he can’t cut/thread it that short - any recommendations?

I'd suggest you find another 'smith who can cut and thread a short barrel. As for permanently attaching a suppressor, you could SBR the rifle instead. That way, you can add or remove cans until you find the right one.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in agreement with others that adding a muzzle device via pin and weld would probably be about the same weight, though it would safe you about 1.5” in length. If that 1.5” in length is worth it, you could consider the xeno mount system. I recently installed a Xeno flash hider via pin and weld on a 14.5” AR barrel and then added their xeno xero to my bolt action rifles so my suppressor is compatible with all of them.

I haven’t used it much, but for your intended purpose of pin and weld to a bolt rifle in order to mount a can, a Xeno compatible muzzle device may be a good solution.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
That’s easy. There is nothing wrong with using a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adaptor.

You can mount directly to a flash hider depending on suppressor and mount.
I’m glad you brought this up. Have you seen any bolt guns with an A2 hider and an RC2 or 3? Been going over it in my head for months now. Having one suppressor that fits 90% of ARs would be nice.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I’m glad you brought this up. Have you seen any bolt guns with an A2 hider and an RC2 or 3? Been going over it in my head for months now. Having one suppressor that fits 90% of ARs would be nice.

Surefire cans don’t work with A2 muzzle devices.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider