Pikes Peak Region Elk

I’m new to hunting in Colorado and really looking to challenge myself this season. A lot of the guys I’ve talked to about elk hunting always mention the northwest part of the state, but I don’t hear much about places like Pike-San Isabel or Gunnison National Forest.

I’ve got a few GMUs in mind for both elk and small game since I have the lifetime small game license, and I’m also holding an OTC 2nd rifle tag. I’m curious to hear what to expect hunting in the Pike-San Isabel area and nearby spots. I don’t really have the time to drive 5-6 hours up to the northwest, so I’m planning to make the most of what’s closer to me. Hopefully, it’ll pay off one day!

If anyone has any insight, my ears are open!

hoosierhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I shot my first elk in the Gunnison National Forest this year during archery. I know of at least a few GMUs in that area that are OTC for rifle. I was in some pretty high country during my hunt and would have to expect the elk move way out of there by 2nd rifle but not totally sure.

OP
Pikes Peak Vet
I shot my first elk in the Gunnison National Forest this year during archery. I know of at least a few GMUs in that area that are OTC for rifle. I was in some pretty high country during my hunt and would have to expect the elk move way out of there by 2nd rifle but not totally sure.
I have done some glassing and camping out there near Emma Burr and Fairview Peak. I'm going squirrel hunting this weekend in GMU 511, hoping to see some signs out there

Gerbdog

WKR
There are elk... but its such a big recreation area for front range folks that it gets hammered all year by hiking, biking, riding, dog walking, jogging, asshattery that the elk herds arent huge from my experience.... and they make very large loops around the area so can be hard to locate if your not in the right place at the right time.....