Photos of Bachelor Bucks

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Are antelope bucks more likely to be in bachelor groups this time of year? I've never scouted WY antelope in July and the other day I found several groups of primarily bachelor bucks. To be clear, I also found them off on their own and in mixed groups--but mostly it was bachelor groups. I just don't really remember seeing good sized groups of ALL or mostly all bucks like this during hunting season. It seems like the groups I saw last weekend consisted of primarily young bucks but there were a few mature ones sprinkled in too. As i say that I remember in June I saw a group of bachelor bucks just north of Baggs off the hwy and they were all big (I think that is unit 64). One in particular I'd estimate at about 80". I was under the impression that during July, the bucks started to peel off and establish territory. Are antelope like mule deer in that they will hang out in bachelor groups during the summer and then break off?

Attachments

• Antelope still 1.jpg
    Antelope still 1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 52
  • antelope_still.jpg
    antelope_still.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 46

velvetfvr

WKR
I have found the giants are by themselves and young ones are in groups. I have never seen a big buck in a bachelor group.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
It can be hard to say most times. My biggest B&C goat was with two does and a couple of kids opening weekend. I killed him the 2nd weekend after a very long stalk and he was with 13 bucks that day. The bucks ranged from scoring approximately 30" to 83".

But more often than not, I usually see the bigger bucks with another good sized buck early and then of course with does a bit later.