Photography- one photo a day

grfox92

WKR
WY.
601a83626d4ce3df4b3a79555c889867.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This photo is pretty special to me. Taken by my brother in August of 1999 at Gilmore Lake, Desolation Wilderness, 8,300 feet. I was 14 and my brother had just turned 13; this was our first overnight backpacking trip without an adult with us. An 18 mile out and back trip with 3,900 feet of elevation gain, where we spent one night at neighboring Fontanillis lake. I don't think I've ever seen my Dad smile as big as when we walked up to the old GMC suburban at the trailhead.

Gilmour Lake 1.jpg

twall13

WKR
This photo is pretty special to me. Taken by my brother in August of 1999 at Gilmore Lake, Desolation Wilderness, 8,300 feet. I was 14 and my brother had just turned 13; this was our first overnight backpacking trip without an adult with us. An 18 mile out and back trip with 3,900 feet of elevation gain, where we spent one night at neighboring Fontanillis lake. I don't think I've ever seen my Dad smile as big as when we walked up to the old GMC suburban at the trailhead.

View attachment 567311
That's awesome. I remember a similar trip when I was 13 and my brother was 16. It was my first backcountry trip without adults, but we were on horses. Sadly I don't have any photos of that trip, only fond memories sleeping under a tarp and roasting fish over the fire in the Uintas. There's no way I could talk my wife into letting my kids do that now...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
From Top of Mt Wilson (AngelesNF) looking East... on the day that I ran out of water as I was coming back up from the bottom at Devore, at Newcomb Pass my water bladder ran-out and had to hike back up 3.5mi and 2300 elevation gain with no water.

The entirety of my Tongue, bone-dry to the touch. Inside my clothing sopping wet from sweat. Having to go slow and stop and rest at each switchback towards the end so the heart palpitations could calm back down so I wouldn't have a heart-attack as my body stole more and more water from my bloodstream, thus requiring the "pump" to work and beat faster in order to continue circulating it. Helluva day, but at least I know what I'm capable of now. Meh.. and the pic is pretty cool.

WP_20141026_003.jpg

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
I still remember my first (certainly not last LOL) Guinness when I was an undergraduate in college...uniquely excellent. Took me nearly fifty years for a chance to enjoy my first one in Ireland, and they really do taste extra outstanding here...especially sitting in the oldest tavern in Belfast (Whites, 1603).

I was so eager to do it that we were the first customers (and first pints) that day! 🤣

IMG_8021 2.jpeg
IMG_8018.jpeg